Your question

Fsx clouds

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • FPS
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
March 26, 2011 3:35:37 AM

hi guys, i am looking to purchase a new pc to run FSX, im not looking to run max settings. what im really looking to do is to have smooth FPS with clouds at all times. im looking to get 25-30 FPS with max clouds. what processor whould you recomend, i5 2400 - 2500?, amd phenom 4x?

More about : fsx clouds

March 27, 2011 7:11:14 AM

At the moment the i7-2600K is perhaps the best for FSX however if you want a great CPU of those 3 that you listed the 2500 would be best (although a 2500K would be better (can over clock it)).Right now though I would wait till May 2011 for the fixed chip set motherboards for those Sandybridge CPU's to come out and would prefer a Z68 type board.
m
l
March 27, 2011 11:17:48 PM

ok, now if i were to go with a phenom ii x4 over an intel i5 2400 or 2500, would there be much of a performance loss on clouds with an AMD? cause i see youtube videos of guys running high settings on both chips, but i never see any videos of them going through thick clouds. for some reason clouds have always been a big thing with me, im not so much of an autogen or water effects guy, i mostly fly IFR flights with 737's and that type of stuff so that's why clouds are important.
m
l
Related resources
March 28, 2011 12:37:07 AM

Yes there would be a performance loss right now with going for an AMD CPU to run FSX.However AMD is coming out with a new CPU in June 2011 (a couple of months from now) on the AM3+ motherboard platform (current AM3 motherboards will be obsoleted) that should perform on par (might even be better or could be an even match or slightly worse) with Intel's CPU's called Bulldozer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer_(processor)#Processors

The AMD FX-8130P might be on par (could be better or worse no one knows as of yet) with the Intel Core i7-2600K in FSX.The difference probably wouldn't be substantial though.

Jetline systems had some FSX benchmarks however I have noticed that they removed the AMD CPU benchmarks from their site.From what I have remembered the performance of those Phenom II's was less (somewhere between 1/2 to 2/3rds the performance of Intel's top performing CPU's in FSX).
http://www.jetlinesystems.com/performance.html

As we know FSX is an older title from 2006 yet it is optimized for using up to 32 CPU cores if it has the latest patches.There was a time when the top performing CPU for FSX several years ago was the Intel Quad Core Q6600.The faster Phenom II quad cores as of now outperform the Q6600 in FSX but have been eclipsed by more powerful Intel Nehalem and now SandyBridge CPU's.The Phenom II X4's really are now budget CPU's in comparison.But AMD I think has now caught up with Intel with the upcoming Bulldozer CPU's.A speculation though is that Intel will released more powerful CPU's a few months (about 6) after AMD's new CPU is released.
This very well might be the only time that AMD has possibly a better? (maybe yes maybe no) CPU than Intel since early 2006.

I don't know why jetline systems haven't updated the benchmarks with the new Core i7-2600K though but it is right now the top performer for FSX.By the way they build custom FSX systems for those who don't know how to build a system.

If you prefer AMD though don't despair because the AMD FX-8130P might be the next top performer for FSX.

As of right now the transition to the AM3+ platform is so close that 1 AM3+ type motherboard has already shown up on newegg's website.I would wait till newer chipset boards come out,the new AMD Bulldozer CPU's are released and wait till we see some benchmarks.Even so it's somewhat risky to be an early adopter so my advise is to wait after a couple of months after release to make sure that there are no problems.
If you're looking for building a AMD system I would recommend keeping up on reading about this upcoming Bulldozer CPU,reading reviews about both the CPU and Motherboards and consider building sometime in August,2011 or July perhaps if you can't wait.Let others be the testers in case there is a problem.Remember that the LGA 1155 motherboards for the Intel SandyBridge CPU's had problems with their chipsets and the fixed motherboards along with the newer great Z68 chipset motherboards will come out in May 2011.Also the original AMD Phenom series CPU in late 2007 had the TLB bug too until it was fixed in early 2008.The problems with those LGA 1155 motherboards didn't show up until a half a month after the Sandybridge CPU's and LGA 1155 were available to the public in early January 2011.

Either way if you go the Intel i7-2600K CPU or AMD FX-8130P CPU route for FSX or a lesser performing CPU I would hold off building an Intel system about 2 months after the new supposedly fixed or improved motherboards come out in May 2011 and the same amount of time after AMD's new CPU and AM3+ motherboards are released in June 2011 to make sure that there are no problems.

Either way I would opt for building a Intel LGA 1155 motherboard or a upcoming AMD AM3+ motherboard based system rather than opting for using an obsolete or older motherboard platform for FSX.

m
l
March 28, 2011 2:04:32 AM

now ive heard its better if you build. lol well i dont know how, ive heard its not hard, but still i don't know how. I can go through Tiger Direct but its $180 for the build and then $100 for windows, so im at $280 before they even put the first screw in. But do you guys know of a good company i can go through if i customize it? ive heard ibuypower and cyberpower are not the greatest, people have purchased from them and they had the wrong video card or chip in there, something like that, is there a company you guys would suggest?
m
l
March 28, 2011 3:13:32 AM

Building a PC from scratch is fairly easy.I first learned by having a knowledgeable friend who taught me DOS and simple upgrades (upgrading memory,CPU,graphics cards,sound cards,CD drives,floppy drives).I would early on purchase an old PC from a thrift store and upgrade it.It was useful because early on if one screwed up a $10 PC it wouldn't be much of a loss.The earlier PC's were more complicated because one would have to configure lots of jumpers on motherboards,sound cards etc.One had to have the manuals for these boards too which can be easily (or sometimes hard) found on the Internet.It's not really that way anymore now there are very few jumpers on motherboards anymore except to clear CMOS (which is rare to do now).In a way it was a lot of fun building a couple of dozen el cheapo systems and messing around with them.Some I have still saved as favorite older systems.Most I sold or gave away.I even made a profit selling older revamped systems which bought me a couple of new systems.

Anyway you should perhaps make a friend locally of someone who you can absolutely trust who knows how to upgrade and build PC's.That's one great method.There are of course a lot of people one can't trust so be careful out there.You might even make friends with a local fellow flight sim enthusiast who also is adept at building custom PC's.
Start off simple and learn simple component changes and upgrades on an older system (or even a thrift store PC if need be).After time you will learn more.

Tom's Hardware has some guides see here when you are ready.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288241-31-faqs-build-...

If you are ready (for a custom build of your own) there are others here who will help you on the forum.

There are other guides on the Internet too.Just one example
http://techreport.com/articles.x/13671

Even PC Gamer magazine had the occasional guides and so will other PC magazines.

If you're not comfortable building a PC you can have a TRUSTED (key word here)
local PC shop (computer store) do it for a fee and you can choose the components.
However like any shop unless they are trustworthy you could easily be overcharged.
I've had that happen to me a lot at auto repair shops (many of them are notorious) so I repair my own automobile now (everything).

The ideal thing about building your own PC is that it's your choice which components that you choose to utilize in your PC (like for example the make and model of your motherboard,CPU,CPU heatsink or liquid cooling system,your choice of power supply,case,memory,graphics card,HD and/or SSD,DVD RW or Blu Ray drives,Operating Systems etc. You can spend as much money as you want to build an enthusiast custom system or cut some corners to get the best bang per buck and still have a great FSX computer system.

Anyway if you're building a system for FSX only use one graphics card as FSX doesn't work well with SLI or Crossfired systems (multiple graphics cards or multiple graphics chips on one card).
m
l