Sign in with
Your question

HDR lighting in games ruins them, what do you think?

Last response: in Video Games

HDR lighting, do you like it?

Total: 15 votes (1 blank vote)

• Hate it, always turn it off
  • 15 %
  • Turn it off in some games
  • 65 %
  • Like it, its the greatest thing ever
  • 22 %
  • I dont know what HDR lighting is
  • 0 %
a b C Monitor
March 26, 2011 3:52:18 AM

Is it just me or does it ruin games? is it maybe just my monitor not handling it well? everything loooks overbright, some games more than others, like oblivion its horrible bloom lighting looks much more realistic and better. You know when your out in the sun for a while and then you go into a moderately dark room and you cant see anything till your eyes adjust, i think they should use this in games. Then at least when your in an outside area they could make it so your eyes adjust and everything doesnt seem so bright.
March 26, 2011 6:04:14 AM

Im not a fan of it either atleast not in Counter strike source.

HDR-on

HDR-off
March 26, 2011 3:22:05 PM

I am 50/50 I think its good if its used sparingly and not used to cover up poor graphics.

I not a big fan of bloomfests because I fear that somtimes it gets so bright that it could actually contribute to image retention (screen burn) on an lcd monitor/tv. My theory is if its hurting my eyes what is it doing to the backlight in my panel!
Related resources
a b C Monitor
March 28, 2011 4:28:09 PM

Well personally I think HDR is kind of too much in some games , like Crysis 2 . I found Crysis extremely good with HDR but Crysis 2 went a bit too overboard.
a b C Monitor
March 28, 2011 5:31:38 PM

depends on the game some games have it and dont need it. others it works well to improve overall atmosphere
a c 195 C Monitor
March 28, 2011 10:46:34 PM

I turn it on.

After all, in Fallout 3 a bottle of Nuka Cola and Nuka Cola Quantum is a bit difficult to tell apart unless you pay attention to the label.
a b C Monitor
March 29, 2011 1:58:59 AM

jaguarskx said:
I turn it on.

After all, in Fallout 3 a bottle of Nuka Cola and Nuka Cola Quantum is a bit difficult to tell apart unless you pay attention to the label.

you are right there, its not too bad in fallout 3. I havnt actually played it for a while, will have to try with hdr off. Well i think ill leave it at that, at least i know its not just me, there are other people out there who dont like it so much in certain games. Thanks everyone for your input
March 29, 2011 4:28:01 AM

I'd rather lower brightness than turn off eye candy :p 
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2011 10:33:01 AM

its not really "eyecandy" when it looks horrible......if you compare HDR lighting as "eye candy" to actual candy, its like one of those really sour candies that make your face screw up...better to not eat them. Also if you lower monitor brightness to remove the overbrightness you then cant see anything in dark areas.
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2011 6:24:12 AM

I just did benchmarks with FarCry2's built in tool. I got 8-9 MORE FPS with it enabled that I did with it disabled. ( DX10 all maxed @1920x1200 )
a c 195 C Monitor
March 31, 2011 5:31:33 PM

My only gripe about HDR in Fallout 3 is why is it necessary for HDR to see a glowing bottle of Nuka Cola Quantum? Couldn't they have just created it as a blue light source?
March 31, 2011 7:30:11 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
its not really "eyecandy" when it looks horrible......if you compare HDR lighting as "eye candy" to actual candy, its like one of those really sour candies that make your face screw up...better to not eat them. Also if you lower monitor brightness to remove the overbrightness you then cant see anything in dark areas.

Well if you fine tune your brightness and contrast with your drivers and monitor, you can find that sweet spot where everything will be perfect, thats what I did. I like HDR, in BC2 (I think it is HDR, could be bloom tho) it makes the sunlight realistic...
April 5, 2011 12:01:17 AM

HDR was great in oblivion. And if tweaked to turn it down a bit it was superb. That was a fantasy game however, when games like crysis 2 use it and over do it to cover up bad textures it sucks.
!