HDR lighting in games ruins them, what do you think?

HDR lighting, do you like it?

• Hate it, always turn it off

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Turn it off in some games

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Like it, its the greatest thing ever

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I dont know what HDR lighting is

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Is it just me or does it ruin games? is it maybe just my monitor not handling it well? everything loooks overbright, some games more than others, like oblivion its horrible bloom lighting looks much more realistic and better. You know when your out in the sun for a while and then you go into a moderately dark room and you cant see anything till your eyes adjust, i think they should use this in games. Then at least when your in an outside area they could make it so your eyes adjust and everything doesnt seem so bright.

xxm4ch1nexx

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I am 50/50 I think its good if its used sparingly and not used to cover up poor graphics.

I not a big fan of bloomfests because I fear that somtimes it gets so bright that it could actually contribute to image retention (screen burn) on an lcd monitor/tv. My theory is if its hurting my eyes what is it doing to the backlight in my panel!

you are right there, its not too bad in fallout 3. I havnt actually played it for a while, will have to try with hdr off. Well i think ill leave it at that, at least i know its not just me, there are other people out there who dont like it so much in certain games. Thanks everyone for your input

its not really "eyecandy" when it looks horrible......if you compare HDR lighting as "eye candy" to actual candy, its like one of those really sour candies that make your face screw up...better to not eat them. Also if you lower monitor brightness to remove the overbrightness you then cant see anything in dark areas.

G

Well if you fine tune your brightness and contrast with your drivers and monitor, you can find that sweet spot where everything will be perfect, thats what I did. I like HDR, in BC2 (I think it is HDR, could be bloom tho) it makes the sunlight realistic...

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
HDR was great in oblivion. And if tweaked to turn it down a bit it was superb. That was a fantasy game however, when games like crysis 2 use it and over do it to cover up bad textures it sucks.