Here is a weird problem - Asus A7V

G

I have built many a system with the Asus A7V, and have had very good luck. Yesterday, one of the computers I put together for a friend failed. Heres the deal - The computer has been running for several months - stable as can be with a Duron 650 - no overclocking. Then yesterday - no post. It spins up the drive and fans, but will not post. So after figuring out it was the board by replacing all the pieces one by one, I reset the CMOS by shorting that connection by the clock and walla - it booted. Now here is the weird part - if I make changes to the bios and save, it wont post on the reboot. I have to short out the cmos again. If I don't make changes and hit F1 to continue booting, it boots just fine, until it is shut off again - then no post. Basically everytime I turn the machine off, I have to re-short the CMOS. I have flashed to bios 1005, 1006, and 1007. It all does the same thing. Any ideas? Has anyone seen this? My guess is that a power surge did something to the board and that I either have to buy a new one, or maybe solder a switch to those cmos shorting points so I don't have to reach in with a screwdriver everytime I need to reboot. Thanks in advance to everyone.

soup20000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was thinking it could be the battery... for about 5 seconds.. but then I was like "wait its plugged into the wall"... so I don’t know.. you can try a new battery I guess... I am out of ideas.

soup

AMD for Life!

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Battery should not cause this fault, even if you remove the battery, pc should still boot.

Sounds like your prob is with the CMOS itself, garbage is being written when changes are made.

Only a guess, never seen it happen before.