simple networking problem.. need help real fast

madmanbmw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am working on an old COAX network that consits of 486/pentium 75's along with win95. However when I try to use ping/netstat in dos it says bad command or file name. What do I need to have installed? I have the tcp/ip protocal running. I am trying to switch from coax to CAT 5 and I am having some trouble. I will be here for a little while longer... please help!

Madison
mmcmajor@apex.net

G

Are the Netcards on each machine being reconized by windows??\
Also
Make sure in control pannel under networks that you have

Client For Microsoft Networks
Netcard name Listed
TCP/IP
IPX/SPX
NetBEUI
File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks <set as shared>

Damned Wrongway

madmanbmw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, here is the deal. When I click on the device manager there is no place for a network card. The work that I am doing are on old systems so I have no idea what time of card it is. However the computers were running on a coax network. Could they do this without windows recognizing the card? I guess I could install it manually but how do I find out what kind of card it is?

Thanks

Madison

nichomach

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Oh ah heck. What does it say in Control Panel, Network for the adapter? Likelihood is they're old ISA cards, w/real mode device drivers. Probably loaded in config.sys. However, the adapter should still show in Network, if it's got the Win95 IP stack bound to it.