LS120, what IDE port?

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
First, the LS120 works fine, the install is not the problem.

Problem is my board has two ATA66 EIDE ports on board. I have a ATA66 7200 RPM hard drive as master on the primary and a DVDROM drive as the master on the secondary, both drives are DMA enabled, the DVD is only 33 though I am pretty sure.

Question is, where in the heck can I put my LS120 without slowing down another component?

LS120's are not DMA compatible correct?

If so, that means if I slave it off either one of my current drives it will slow it down, right?

Is adding a controller card my only alternative?

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Assming ur gonna mostly be transferring stuff between ls120 & ur hard disk, put ls120 on 2nd ide chain (as slave is fine) > that way it's on diff chain from component its copying to/from (your hard disk).

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Ron Jeremy? Man, that is one sick cat, shame on you unless your name really is Ron Jeremy, in that case, I apologize.

Thanks for the response, problem is my DVD drive is the master on my secondary IDE, so if I slave the LS120 off the DVD (which is DMA enabled) I believe that will adversely affect the DVD's performance.........really I am trying to fit 15 pounds of you know what into a 10 pound sack, I think I need to stop being such a tightwad and drop some dough on a controller card.

Unless someone has any ideas?