there an on-board fax in the VX4400 or does it use CDMA to connect to
the carrier's fax?

noman

On 2004-10-13, Dr X <gxspam@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Which cable do you have? The one that connects to the phone via the
> serial port or via the USB port.

I have both the straight usb cable and the cable with the inline
Prolific serial converter. Fax seems fine either way.

In osx a driver for the straight cable is built in. A Prolific driver
is required to use the converting cable. If by any chance you happen
to be running osx 10.3, be sure to get the newest Prolific driver,
which is little tricky to find online. The most commonly found
version of this driver online does not work properly, at least for
fax, in 10.3 (it's fine in 10.2).

> I got the one from Radio Shack that
> uses the serial port on the phone.

I think this is what most people use, since it works better with
bitpim. Fax should be ok with this cable, with the driver caveat
above for osx 10.3.

noman

On 2004-10-22, bj badyk <bjbadyk@suppression.org> wrote:
> hey man, just wanted to know what version of the prolific driver you
> used to enable faxing? i have been using my 4400 on the VZW EN no
> problem, but its not listed in the "fax list". im assuming its a
> driver related thing. thanks for any help!

I ran fax tests with the 4400 and osx some time ago, and now that I
think about, I'm sure the builtin fax support in 10.3 works with the
staight usb cable (no driver required) and I'm sure the shareware
PageSender fax package works with the converting cable (prolific
driver required) but I'm not sure the converting cable ever worked
with the builtin fax. I just don't remember.

If you're using the builtin fax, I would suggest trying the straight
usb cable. If you don't want a second cable, try PageSender.

As for version of the Prolific PL2303 driver, it's not actually the
driver version per se that makes a difference in 10.2 vs 10.3. It's
the kext version. The widely available driver is kext version 1.0.6.
This works in 10.2 but fails in weird ways in 10.3. For the latter
there's a hacked driver with kext version 1.0.8b3. In both cases, the
driver version itself is 1.0.5.

Here's the entry from System Profiler:

ProlificUsbSerial:

Version: ProlificUsbSerial version 1.0.5
Last Modified: 12/4/03 12:50 AM
Get Info String: ProlificUsbSerial version 1.0.5, Copyright
2001 Prolific Technology Inc.
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/ProlificUsbSerial.kext
kext Version: 1.0.8b3

TRENDING THREADS