Ifmember works on windows xp but not on windows 7

jonniestyle

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
So here's the scoop:

My network has got Windows XP Pro clients, and I've been using logon scripts and 'ifmember' to check domain group membership and assign resources when users log on. Everything has been great so far.

I dropped in my first Windows 7 clients this weekend, and everything mostly works except - as I discovered - the ifmember program.

If I execute ifmember /list on a Windows XP client, I get a list of all the DOMAIN groups I'm a member of.

If I execute ifmember /list on a Windows 7 client, I get a list of some local workstation groups, but nothing on the domain.

So what gives? What do I need to do to my Windows 7 client to get this command functional?

Is there an alternative?

jonniestyle

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
I went to 'another' network (with 2003 domain controllers and Windows 7 Pro clients) and tried 'ifmember' on those clients, and ifmember works fine.

So what gives? Is there a machine policy that needs to be set on the Windows client machines to allow this app to do what it needs to do? I really don't feel like re-writing all the startup scripts ... my group-based membership has worked wonderfully for this network.

Any thoughts anybody?

Mobiustrip

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Jonnie,

Did you ever get this resolved?
I too am having issues with 2003 domain controllers and extensive use of iFMember in my logon scripts with Win7 clients.
I also do not want to retool my entire script/GPO structure.

jonniestyle

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

I got it resolved, but I had to upgrade my domain controllers to Windows 2003 R2, and then it magically started working...