Wireless Internet and File and Printer Sharing

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
November 24, 2004 12:43:05 PM

Hi, I am having problems with my wireless network file and print
sharing and connecting to my wideband ISP

MY EQUIPMENT:

Router Netgear MR815 v2
Wireless pcmcia adaptor Netgear MA521
NIC 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC
PC WinXP
Laptop Win98 SE

MY NEW CONFIGURATION:

PC hardwired to router
Laptop wireless to router
Router hardwired to wideband equipment
PC and Laptop connecting to the internet throught the router

MY PROBLEM:

Before I had the Netgear wideband setup I had a Motorola BB160
wireless setup, I had file and printer sharing enabled, the PC and
Laptop connecting

seperately to the internet through Dialup Networking (old
configuration). Everything worked fine with no problems, except
dialup networking performance

was poor and to be expected.

After seting up my new wirless configuration I can connect to the
internet just fine, however I can't enable file and print sharing. I
have tried several

suggestions I have found in this newsnet and others with no success.
I have seen some comments that this may not be possible unless I use
Internet

sharing though the PC with WinXp. I don't want to use internet
connection sharing as this means my PC will have to be turned on in
order for my laptop to

connect to the internet.

SOLUTION REQUIRED:

I want to have both my PC and Laptop connect to the internet throught
my router and have file and print sharing enabled between my PC and
Laptop. I am

starting to think I may have to have another router between my wirless
router and my widband equipment.

Any help would be appreciated
RSW
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 24, 2004 3:30:50 PM

RSW wrote:

>Hi, I am having problems with my wireless network file and print
>sharing and connecting to my wideband ISP
>
>MY EQUIPMENT:
>
>Router Netgear MR815 v2
>Wireless pcmcia adaptor Netgear MA521
>NIC 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC
>PC WinXP
>Laptop Win98 SE
>
>MY NEW CONFIGURATION:
>
>PC hardwired to router
>Laptop wireless to router
>Router hardwired to wideband equipment
>PC and Laptop connecting to the internet throught the router
>
>MY PROBLEM:
>
>Before I had the Netgear wideband setup I had a Motorola BB160
>wireless setup, I had file and printer sharing enabled, the PC and
>Laptop connecting
>
>seperately to the internet through Dialup Networking (old
>configuration). Everything worked fine with no problems, except
>dialup networking performance
>
>was poor and to be expected.
>
>After seting up my new wirless configuration I can connect to the
>internet just fine, however I can't enable file and print sharing. I
>have tried several
>
>suggestions I have found in this newsnet and others with no success.
>I have seen some comments that this may not be possible unless I use
>Internet
>
>sharing though the PC with WinXp. I don't want to use internet
>connection sharing as this means my PC will have to be turned on in
>order for my laptop to
>
>connect to the internet.
>
>SOLUTION REQUIRED:
>
>I want to have both my PC and Laptop connect to the internet throught
>my router and have file and print sharing enabled between my PC and
>Laptop. I am
>
>starting to think I may have to have another router between my wirless
>router and my widband equipment.
>
>Any help would be appreciated
>RSW

No. There is doubtless some configuration problem.

Do either computers have a firewall? Try turning it off.

Does the router have a firewall? Is it set to block sharing?

Do you have file and print sharing bound to the connections?

If systems are XP, do you have a logon (user) on both systems with the
same username/password. That is, if I am logged in to my laptop as
user:John password:letmein, is there a user on the desktop named John
with a password of letmein?

Have you shared resources?
November 25, 2004 9:53:28 AM

Jerry Park <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message news:<yo4pd.99882$Tq1.75566@bignews1.bellsouth.net>...
> RSW wrote:
>
> >Hi, I am having problems with my wireless network file and print
> >sharing and connecting to my wideband ISP
> >
> >MY EQUIPMENT:
> >
> >Router Netgear MR815 v2
> >Wireless pcmcia adaptor Netgear MA521
> >NIC 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC
> >PC WinXP
> >Laptop Win98 SE
> >
> >MY NEW CONFIGURATION:
> >
> >PC hardwired to router
> >Laptop wireless to router
> >Router hardwired to wideband equipment
> >PC and Laptop connecting to the internet throught the router
> >
> >MY PROBLEM:
> >
> >Before I had the Netgear wideband setup I had a Motorola BB160
> >wireless setup, I had file and printer sharing enabled, the PC and
> >Laptop connecting
> >
> >seperately to the internet through Dialup Networking (old
> >configuration). Everything worked fine with no problems, except
> >dialup networking performance
> >
> >was poor and to be expected.
> >
> >After seting up my new wirless configuration I can connect to the
> >internet just fine, however I can't enable file and print sharing. I
> >have tried several
> >
> >suggestions I have found in this newsnet and others with no success.
> >I have seen some comments that this may not be possible unless I use
> >Internet
> >
> >sharing though the PC with WinXp. I don't want to use internet
> >connection sharing as this means my PC will have to be turned on in
> >order for my laptop to
> >
> >connect to the internet.
> >
> >SOLUTION REQUIRED:
> >
> >I want to have both my PC and Laptop connect to the internet throught
> >my router and have file and print sharing enabled between my PC and
> >Laptop. I am
> >
> >starting to think I may have to have another router between my wirless
> >router and my widband equipment.
> >
> >Any help would be appreciated
> >RSW
> >

> No. There is doubtless some configuration problem.
>
> Do either computers have a firewall? Try turning it off.
TRIED THAT DIDN'T WORK

> Does the router have a firewall? Is it set to block sharing?
NO FIREWALL

> Do you have file and print sharing bound to the connections?
YES

> If systems are XP, do you have a logon (user) on both systems with the
> same username/password. That is, if I am logged in to my laptop as
> user:John password:letmein, is there a user on the desktop named John
> with a password of letmein?

SAME DOMAIN NAME DIFFERENT USERNAMES AND PASSWORDS

> Have you shared resources?

NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN

Sorry for the CAPS I am not yelling just showing my reply.

RSW
a b F Wireless
November 26, 2004 4:50:02 AM

"RSW" <rswalker@airsurfer.ca> wrote in message
news:D 3d3b4c8.0411250653.528d8829@posting.google.com...
> Jerry Park <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> > RSW wrote:
> >
> > >Hi, I am having problems with my wireless network file and print
> > >sharing and connecting to my wideband ISP
> > >
> > >MY EQUIPMENT:
> > >
> > >Router Netgear MR815 v2
> > >Wireless pcmcia adaptor Netgear MA521
> > >NIC 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC
> > >PC WinXP
> > >Laptop Win98 SE
> > >
> > >MY NEW CONFIGURATION:
> > >
> > >PC hardwired to router
> > >Laptop wireless to router
> > >Router hardwired to wideband equipment
> > >PC and Laptop connecting to the internet throught the router
> > >
> > >MY PROBLEM:
> > >
> > >Before I had the Netgear wideband setup I had a Motorola BB160
> > >wireless setup, I had file and printer sharing enabled, the PC and
> > >Laptop connecting
> > >
> > >seperately to the internet through Dialup Networking (old
> > >configuration). Everything worked fine with no problems, except
> > >dialup networking performance
> > >
> > >was poor and to be expected.
> > >
> > >After seting up my new wirless configuration I can connect to the
> > >internet just fine, however I can't enable file and print sharing. I
> > >have tried several
> > >
> > >suggestions I have found in this newsnet and others with no success.
> > >I have seen some comments that this may not be possible unless I use
> > >Internet
> > >
> > >sharing though the PC with WinXp. I don't want to use internet
> > >connection sharing as this means my PC will have to be turned on in
> > >order for my laptop to
> > >
> > >connect to the internet.
> > >
> > >SOLUTION REQUIRED:
> > >
> > >I want to have both my PC and Laptop connect to the internet throught
> > >my router and have file and print sharing enabled between my PC and
> > >Laptop. I am
> > >
> > >starting to think I may have to have another router between my wirless
> > >router and my widband equipment.
> > >
> > >Any help would be appreciated
> > >RSW
> > >

> > No. There is doubtless some configuration problem.
> >
> > Do either computers have a firewall? Try turning it off.
> TRIED THAT DIDN'T WORK
> >
> > Does the router have a firewall? Is it set to block sharing?
> NO FIREWALL
> >
> > Do you have file and print sharing bound to the connections?
> YES
> >
> > If systems are XP, do you have a logon (user) on both systems with the
> > same username/password. That is, if I am logged in to my laptop as
> > user:John password:letmein, is there a user on the desktop named John
> > with a password of letmein?
> >
> SAME DOMAIN NAME DIFFERENT USERNAMES AND PASSWORDS
>
> > Have you shared resources?
>
> NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN

Shared resources means have you designated a folder(s) to share across the
network? Check the workgroup on each computer. Did you install Wimp SP2?
The security features in the service pack could be effecting your file
sharing also.

November 26, 2004 12:38:09 PM

"news" <news@usenet.net> wrote in message news:<at6dnVBm3peGTzvcRVn-pA@comcast.com>...
> "RSW" <rswalker@airsurfer.ca> wrote in message
> news:D 3d3b4c8.0411250653.528d8829@posting.google.com...
> > Jerry Park <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

> > > No. There is doubtless some configuration problem.
> > >
> > > Do either computers have a firewall? Try turning it off.
> TRIED THAT DIDN'T WORK
> > >
> > > Does the router have a firewall? Is it set to block sharing?
> NO FIREWALL
> > >
> > > Do you have file and print sharing bound to the connections?
> YES
> > >
> > > If systems are XP, do you have a logon (user) on both systems with the
> > > same username/password. That is, if I am logged in to my laptop as
> > > user:John password:letmein, is there a user on the desktop named John
> > > with a password of letmein?
> > >
> > SAME DOMAIN NAME DIFFERENT USERNAMES AND PASSWORDS
> >
> > > Have you shared resources?
> >
> > NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN
>
> Shared resources means have you designated a folder(s) to share across the
> network? Check the workgroup on each computer. Did you install Wimp SP2?
> The security features in the service pack could be effecting your file
> sharing also.

Yes I have shared resources set up for the C drive on each computer.
Neither Computer can "see" each other.

No I have not Installed SP2

I don't have the XP firewall activated either.

November 26, 2004 5:21:54 PM

"news" <news@usenet.net> wrote in message news:<at6dnVBm3peGTzvcRVn-pA@comcast.com>...
> "RSW" <rswalker@airsurfer.ca> wrote in message
> news:D 3d3b4c8.0411250653.528d8829@posting.google.com...
> > Jerry Park <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

> > > No. There is doubtless some configuration problem.
> > >
> > > Do either computers have a firewall? Try turning it off.
> TRIED THAT DIDN'T WORK
> > >
> > > Does the router have a firewall? Is it set to block sharing?
> NO FIREWALL
> > >
> > > Do you have file and print sharing bound to the connections?
> YES
> > >
> > > If systems are XP, do you have a logon (user) on both systems with the
> > > same username/password. That is, if I am logged in to my laptop as
> > > user:John password:letmein, is there a user on the desktop named John
> > > with a password of letmein?
> > >
> > SAME DOMAIN NAME DIFFERENT USERNAMES AND PASSWORDS
> >
> > > Have you shared resources?
> >
> > NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN
>
> Shared resources means have you designated a folder(s) to share across the
> network? Check the workgroup on each computer. Did you install Wimp SP2?
> The security features in the service pack could be effecting your file
> sharing also.

I have solved the problem!!!!!

Many thanx to all who have responded to my question.

THE SOLUTION I USED

I Installed NETBEUI on both my Win98 laptop and my WinXP desktop,
bound File and print sharing under NETBEUI Unbound File and Print
Sharing from TPC/IP,
and it worked. I found the instructions
@http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html. as mentioned in a reply to my
question. I had security concerns about using NETEUI but my fears
were eased by reading http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html.
The ezlan site http://www.ezlan.net/ is an excellent resource.

RSW
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 27, 2004 11:33:23 AM

"RSW" <rswalker@airsurfer.ca> wrote in message
news:D 3d3b4c8.0411261421.4960f541@posting.google.com...
> "news" <news@usenet.net> wrote in message
> > "RSW" <rswalker@airsurfer.ca> wrote in message
> > news:D 3d3b4c8.0411250653.528d8829@posting.google.com...
> > > Jerry Park <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

> > TRIED THAT DIDN'T WORK

> > NO FIREWALL

> > YES

John

> > > SAME DOMAIN NAME DIFFERENT USERNAMES AND PASSWORDS

> > > NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN
> >
> > Shared resources means have you designated a folder(s) to share across
the
> > network? Check the workgroup on each computer. Did you install Wimp
SP2?
> > The security features in the service pack could be effecting your file
> > sharing also.

> I have solved the problem!!!!!
>
> Many thanx to all who have responded to my question.
>
> THE SOLUTION I USED
>
> I Installed NETBEUI on both my Win98 laptop and my WinXP desktop,
> bound File and print sharing under NETBEUI Unbound File and Print
> Sharing from TPC/IP,
> and it worked. I found the instructions
> @http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html. as mentioned in a reply to my
> question. I had security concerns about using NETEUI but my fears
> were eased by reading http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html.
> The ezlan site http://www.ezlan.net/ is an excellent resource.
>
> RSW

NetBEUI? Stoneage protocol. Why are using that one?
!