KT7A RAID and stability problems

G

Im having some troubles with windows 98 SE and my new KT7A mb. at random intervals, ill get an error msg saying Explorer has experienced an illegal operation, and it gives the option of closing or viewing details. whenever this happens, any application that i have open gets shut down. and sometimes after this, my system locks up and i have to reboot. My system profile: amd 1.2 gig tbird, abit kt7a raid, 256 mb micron pc133 ram, maxtor diamond max 60gig hdd (ide 1), elsa gladiac gf2 ultra, and creative labs 12x dvd (ide 2). I have installed the latest version of the via 4-in-1 service pack, i did this right after installation of win 98 se. any ideas on what is causing this? thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

G

i got those kind of errors when i had clocked my cpu up a little more than it could manage...then later i'd get the same kind of errors if i clocked my ram up too high. you didnt mention anything about overclocking in your post, but maybe its heat...i dunno, just telling you what happened with me

good luck

Smoking is a major cause of statistics.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
ALL OF THEM - absolutely go to the Windows updates page and spend a few $$ on your phone bill (I hope thought that you have fixed line)...

Seriously - get the updates. Test for a week, then try again.

Also check all your components can work at the sppes you have them set at - explorer _somtimes_ gets a bit flakey when you reach the component limit for overclocking. Also - try disabling your virus software for a day (manually scan whaever you downlaod). Some virus scanner than run all the time can cause significant errors.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

better yet, get Windows 2000. You'll solve a lot of those stupid Windows 98 problems

ABIT KT-7 RAID
Duron 700 unlocked to 900 (STABLE)

G

Ill download all the updates tonight, i have a cable modem so it shouldnt be a problem. as for overclocking, i havent done anything yet. my system and all components are still running at their original speeds. i want to get the system stable before i mess with that. I just got a reply from another board saying that the maxtor utilities that come with the hdd change bios settings. i guess im going to reformat,fdisk, and flash my bios and see if that helps. thanks for all the suggestions.

G

just tried again and am getting the same errors. started by fdisk'ing, then formatting HDD. then flashed the bios. loaded win 98se, then the via 4-in-1 service pack version 4.29v. next the via usb patch. finally the drivers for my elsa gladiac. before i could get the nic installed, i got the msg again. after installing my nic, a netgear fa310tx, ilocated a patch for the graphics card and installed it. finally, i loaded all the critical updates for win 98 se. still getting the errors. god this sucks! please, if anyone can help i would really appreciate it.
btw, nothing is overclocked, no other apps loaded, and i havent installed my sblive!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yama26 on 03/19/01 08:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don’t ever load any Via Shmia drivers or whatever "specual'" mobo-HD drivers there are, cures most of sicknesses... hehe

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

TRENDING THREADS