Sign in with
Your question

Buying a new computer mainly for gaming, Don't know what to buy!

Last response: in Video Games
March 29, 2011 12:05:24 PM

Hello,
I am a big sims 3 player, i bought an $800 laptop about three years ago only to find out the graphics card didn't support the game. Here is the system requirement page:

http://www.thesims3.com/game/systemreq

Pls help I am not a computer genius, and i need help on knowing what to look for graphics wise. I want the best graphics but, don't want to spend a fortune on a new desktop.
March 29, 2011 12:48:10 PM

Integrated graphics (AMD*) will normally allow you to play Sims 3.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Although you could easily buy another prebuilt for less or build one yourself, in most cases you won't need a bluray drive, and in cases like the GPU/CPU you'll normally find far cheaper prices getting the hardware seperately.
Only thing I like is that it would run Sims 3 maxed out from the get-go, but you'll also be more then capable of upgrading if you wanted in the future. The Bluray would work fine as well if you use a 1080p monitor or tv.
m
l
March 29, 2011 9:11:07 PM

If you don't want or need a Blu-Ray player then you can opt for the CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2064 which basically has the same specs as the above mentioned iBuyPower PC for $570 ($130 less). As for which brand is better or more reliable... I don't know. Many forum members build their own PCs like myself.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8GHz

Memory: 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333

Hard Drive: 1TB (1 x 1TB) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD

Optical Drive 1: 24X DVD±R/±RW Dual Layer Drive

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB PCI Express Graphics

Audio: Sound card - Integrated
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2011 12:23:57 AM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
What's your budget? Do you want another laptop or a desktop? Are you capable of buying the desktop components and putting it together yourself or do you want a pre-fab machine?

Ummm..... I really would like a desktop. My budget is no more than $550. I am not very smart with computers. Plus i'm only 15 so, pls be as descriptive as possible. I have been looking around mainly on bestbuy .com, and have found some on there website. First off I don't want one built i just want to buy one, that way its quick and easy. So I'm clueless as to what kind of graphics cards i'm looking for someone on yahoo answers said these:

FX 5900, FX 5950
6200, 6500, 6600, 6800,
7200, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
8400, 8500, 8600, 8800
9600, 9800, GTX 260, GTX 280

ATI Radeon™ series

9500, 9600, 9800
X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
2400, 2600, 2900
3450, 3650, 3850, 3870,
4850, 4870 "

Does that mean you need to get one on the list cause I found this one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+Inspiron+I560-565NBK+D...

and it has an X4500HD graphics card. Would that work? how good would the quality be? Should it play sims amazingly or just ok? Do you think thats a good deal?

really confused, pls help
m
l
April 12, 2011 8:18:20 AM

I've got an $800 laptop from three years ago and it plays The Sims 3 just fine. I have to dial back the graphics a little bit (slightly less than max) to get a smooth framerate, but it's all good in the end.

"The graphics card didn't support the game" is a hazy description of your problem. Maybe instead of looking for a new machine, you should see if you can set up your current machine to play The Sims 3 (and games in general) a little better. That way you can save up and get a great computer down the road instead of compromising to have one now.

Go download all of the latest drivers for your hardware (especially your GPU) and then try to run the game again. If you can get the game started, tweak the settings. You may have to play it on the lower graphical settings, but it's a lot better than not playing it at all.

If you've got $500 and you only want to play The Sims/don't know much about computers, then why don't you consider going with a console? For that much money you could get any one of the current-gen consoles and enjoy all kinds of games (The Sims 3 included) without worrying about hardware.

Anyways, you're not going to get much of a gaming rig for $500... Try to get your games to work on your current setup before you make the decision to spend your saved-up cash. If you can get The Sims 3 to play on your laptop, then you can save up your money for a nicer PC later. Also, you could always head down to the pawn shop and spend $120 on a used PS3 or Xbox 360 and play games on that.

Think about your options before you make a hasty decision to spend all of your money. It's harder to come by than it is to spend :D 
m
l
April 12, 2011 11:56:15 AM

Trust me i've thought about my options. The Sims 3 will play on my computer, but my computer is very slow, therefore my game runs slowly. Plus my graphics absolutely suck on my computer. I've messed with the settings many times, updated all my drivers, and still no luck. My laptop sucks and i'm going to have to buy a new one.
m
l
April 12, 2011 12:03:58 PM

Processor is weak, graphics card is low end...but it will more than likely play the Sims 3 at max settings. Your best bet is save 20$ and get the one Jaguar mentioned, as it's a full computer but without a monitor. If you don't have a monitor then there's no point in buying a desktop, although even a basic 17" monitor should work fine. Most OEM (Retailer computer stores) build everything professionally and efficiently for you to just plug in and use.
I would consider a console in your shoes, although the Sims 3 on the Xbox 360 controls differently and looks different (Rendering doesn't keep up all the time so textures will look piss poor for a few seconds more than normal).

EDIT: If you're looking for a new laptop, then don't bother. The most you can find for 500$ would be a mid end laptop with little to no gaming performance.
m
l
April 12, 2011 6:41:23 PM

donald45610703 said:
Trust me i've thought about my options. The Sims 3 will play on my computer, but my computer is very slow, therefore my game runs slowly. Plus my graphics absolutely suck on my computer. I've messed with the settings many times, updated all my drivers, and still no luck. My laptop sucks and i'm going to have to buy a new one.

Okay man, just wanted to make sure you weren't being too hasty with this decision. Gotta be careful nowadays.

Anyways, good luck with your new PC. Enjoy The Sims 3 maxed out, it's a great game :D 
m
l
!