bl6377

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
My friends Dell 8200 won't boot past the windows home edition screen and then it goes to a dark blue or black screen and freezes! Any ideas?

You did press any key to boot from CD when prompted, correct? And the CD-ROM is set in the boot order to boot before the HD, correct?

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

bl6377

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Yes I tried it and the boot order was is the correct order. Also tried to re-install and it stops when searching for installed programs.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bl6377 on 02/24/05 02:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

joe_tlj

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
It sounds like you have hardware issues. try removing all but the esential components, and check for chared parts, or blown capacitors. If the screen just freezes, but the computer continues to work, i.e. blinking LEDs, keyboard lights change when toggled, hard drive sounds, chances are your video card is shot.

RichPLS

Champion
Sounds like you need to re-format drive and install.
I have seen something on this at MS Technet, but don't recall specifics. Something about Windows getting corrupted, and some files to replace to try to repair.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>