Sign in with
Your question

Weak Connection & Jitter

Last response: in Video Games
March 29, 2011 11:43:15 PM

Can a weak internet connection make online games look jittery or laggy?

I play some MMOs (RuneScape) and FPS (CoD4, CoDBO, Crysis 2) online and whenver I do something such as rotate the screen, it'll look a bit jittery/stuttery. I seem to remain at a constant FPS when there aren't many people around. Usually when there's a lot of action on screen I'll drop down a few FPS, not too many.

The one that surprised me the most was RuneScape HD in windowed mode, seems my GTX 560 can't keep it at the capped 50FPS when a lot of people are around. It's strange because my friend with almost exactly the same specs (but lower) can run it at 50FPS without dropping any frames when people (added textures) are around.

We both maintain 50 FPS while recording with FRAPS at 50 FPS, but it seems I start dropping frames whenever I go around a lot of people, while he doesn't. I have a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 for FRAPS only and it seems like he is able to stay at 50 FPS.

I read somewhere that if a connection is too weak then nothing can be rendered as fast. If the connection is jumpy, will that cause jumpy/jittery game play? I'm trying to get the smoothest possible video while keeping high quality. I'm also wondering if this is a driver related problem since I'm using the ones that came on the disk.

-----

On Pingtest, I have around 200 ping with a lot of jitter :o  . I'll be moving my computer down to my router and hooking it
up with a wire within this week.

-----

Phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4 GHZ
Asus M4A88TD-V Evo (Internal Graphics disabled)
EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ DDR3-1333
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb boot and 1tb storage
Corsair 750TX V2

Tested all parts - great temps with Hyper 212+, great voltages in HWMonitor, Windows 7 High Performance Mode ON, but so is Cool'N'Quiet

My friend's specs
Phenom ii x4 810 @ 2.8 GHZ
9800 GTX+
Rest was OEM

Both have Windows 7 Home and Fraps 3.3.3

More about : weak connection jitter

March 29, 2011 11:47:28 PM

Does Runescape work in the browser? I know it used to. Is your friend using a different browser to you? Maybe it has something to do with that. Not sure if it will help with Runescape but I'd update the drivers if I were you. You can get them from the Nvidia site. Its a good idea to keep them up to date.
m
l
March 29, 2011 11:55:17 PM

Dark Comet said:
Does Runescape work in the browser? I know it used to. Is your friend using a different browser to you? Maybe it has something to do with that. Not sure if it will help with Runescape but I'd update the drivers if I were you. You can get them from the Nvidia site. Its a good idea to keep them up to date.

Yes, it runs with Java.

I've tried all browsers and seems I get the best FPS with Opera while he gets the best FPS with IE 64 Bit. I tried IE 64 Bit and it didn't seem very smooth to me.

Can I uninstall the drivers with Windows 7 device manager? Or will I have to go through a process of deleting drivers in safe mode?

Edit: I downloaded 266.66 but haven't installed them yet.
m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2011 8:11:44 PM

I actually just (last night) tried IE64 and it seemed smooth with FRAPS, but I think it was because I was trying it at night when no one else was using the internet.

I also noticed in CPU-Z that my RAM is running in single channel mode. Will that make a difference with loading screens and big file transfers (FRAPS)? I'm going to check my motherboard tonight and see what slots the RAM in.
m
l
!