G

I have some problems, if anyone can help me, I'd be greatly appreciated it.
I have ASUS A7V, Athlon 850, asus 7100/t, NEC Ram 128mb pc133, Sound blaster live, Asus DVD, Sony CD Writer, Acer 50x CD, IBM HDD 30g 7200rpm ata100, Taisol Fan, normal case and WIN ME installed on my system. (I update all my drivers frequently.)

#1) in Win ME, whenever I try to shut down, it will always give me a blue screen error and i have to manually shut down thereby running scandisk everytime i load up win ME.

#2) The system crashes alot. Maybe you guys can tell me a way to narrow what the problem is. All my drivers are up to date. I don't know if it's the mobo, ram or the CPU, is there any test i can do to see which part is causing the crash?

#3)Whenver I am running an executable program in windows, i always have to wait about 2-4 minutes to get the setup program to show up. Lots of delays. (all my drivers and bios is up to date).

#4)My geforce 2mx v7100/t seem to be crashing more than it used to in games.

#5) My CPU temp is higher than normal. I belive the normal temp for the CPU for most systems are around 30-40, mine is at 52. The normal temp for mobo is around 25-30 mine is at 40. Other users with Taisol fan is about about CPU: 35 Mobo : 25

#6) Is it normal for a geforce 2 MX to reduce flash rate when using Twinview?

#7) my HDD sometimes will sound weird (eg beeping sound when running. Also, when it is reading it's quite but when writing it seems noisy and i read in your article that it's supposed to be quite.)

One final question, is my Athlon 850 (200mhz FSB) thunderbird able to take advantage of the new Asus A7Vkt133A motherboard? If not, then which athlons will? I know that Type C supports it but i don't know which ones are Type C since it does not say in the product.

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
I can't answer any of your questions except the last one. Your current 200 MHz Althon is supported by the A7V133. I have that board and it will run in either 100 MHz or 133. You can also set the clock rate for the CPU to 100 and the clock rate for the RAM to 133, or vice-versa, depending on what type of CPU and memory you put in the board. The BIOS will automatically divide by 3 if you run 100 and by 4 if you run 133, so the PCI runs at the speced 33 MHz. With the CPU setting at 100 MHz, I don't know if the CPU really takes advantage of running the memory at 133 -- possibly it does, because the FSB even at 100 is running DDR and so should be able to keep ahead of the memory (because it's running at an effective 200 versus the 133 for the RAM).

As far as telling the processors apart, I agree that most stores and sites do a poor job of distinguishing the B and C types, they only quote clock speed, e.g. 1.2G, so you don't know what the FSB is. In the few sites that do quote it, you will sometimes see it listed as 266 MHz FSB for the C type. One such site is www.tccomputers.com, which is where I bought mine.

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i can't say that i have answers but i have some suggestions (out of order)

#5 - did you install the heatsink properly (either use the thermal pad or better yet use thermal paste)? te eliminate heat as a problem try running the computer with the side of the sace off, this should cool it down.

#1 - are there irq conflicts? you didn't mention a modem or nic but it seems that network cards are to blame a lot of the time. make sure that the video card, sound card, and network card/modem have their own irq's. i assume you didn't overlook any drivers, like the 4-in-1's.

#3 - do'n know really but i remember when i used winME and it got balls ass slow for no reason, a clean install was the only thing that helped.

#4 - again, check the irq's. the geforce series cards don't like to share. try different drivers, some are more stable than others. in the bios, disable video ram shadowing and cacheing (if applicable).

#6 - i don't have an mx twinview

#2 - you mentioned you have pc133 ram but didn't say whether it is cas2 or cas3 or name brand or generic. try using less demanding ram timings (i.e. cas3) and see if it helps. running the ram faster then it can handle will definately cause crashes.

#7 - i'm not sure

for your last question, type "b" chips are the 200mhz fsb chips, type "c" chips are the 266mhz fsb type. you can use your 200mhz fsb cpu on a kt133a mobo without a problem and you might get some nice overclocking. the fsb overclocking limitations turned out to be the original kt133 chipset and not the cpu's. the kt133a mobo's can handle high fsb but will work with the "b" t-birds