Your question

At my wits end with my PC and WoW

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
March 30, 2011 5:21:27 PM

OK, here goes. I was having an issue with my PC shutting off at random while playing WoW, so I thought maybe it was a heating or PSU issue. SO, I decided to do an upgrade. I upgraded the motherboard to an MSI 890 FXA, the CPU to an AMD quad core 3.5 GHZ, the video card to an MSI radeon 5770, the RAM to 8 gigs, the PSU to a Corsair 750 watt, and also decided to upgrade the OS to windows 7 64 bit. For all intents and purposes, an overall new PC. Now the issue, it is STILL happening when I play World of Warcraft. It does not, however, happen when doing anything else, i.e. surfing the net, playing other games, movies, etc. I have ran Furmark for an hour and a half at max setting for the GPU, ran other tests, ran speedfan while playing (GPU temp never got above 51), tried turning down settings on the game, and it still happens. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More about : wits end wow

a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 30, 2011 5:29:54 PM

the PC shuts off and restarts itself? sounds like a software issue since it does not happen on other games.
m
l
March 30, 2011 5:30:34 PM

Does it shut off or does it restart? Sounds like a dying HD to me... The only other thing I've seen do this is bad memory. You can also check the event viewer to see if anything else is showing up there. Here is what I would do:

1. Pull out old memory and just use the new. Do this for a day and see what happens
2. Get a new HD clone it over. See if that works

It has to be one of these two. It's the only two original components in the machine.
m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2011 5:34:16 PM

paeddings said:
OK, here goes. I was having an issue with my PC shutting off at random while playing WoW, so I thought maybe it was a heating or PSU issue. SO, I decided to do an upgrade. I upgraded the motherboard to an MSI 890 FXA, the CPU to an AMD quad core 3.5 GHZ, the video card to an MSI radeon 5770, the RAM to 8 gigs, the PSU to a Corsair 750 watt, and also decided to upgrade the OS to windows 7 64 bit. For all intents and purposes, an overall new PC. Now the issue, it is STILL happening when I play World of Warcraft. It does not, however, happen when doing anything else, i.e. surfing the net, playing other games, movies, etc. I have ran Furmark for an hour and a half at max setting for the GPU, ran other tests, ran speedfan while playing (GPU temp never got above 51), tried turning down settings on the game, and it still happens. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, what it does the monitor goes into Auto power save mode. The fans in the PC still run, and the LED light on the motherboard is still on. Now, sometimes, it will let me play for hours, sometimes minutes. I have done a complete reinstall of WoW, and it is still happening. I have tried running it in DX9 and DX11 modes, and it still happens.
m
l
March 30, 2011 5:38:16 PM

Also, both sticks of memory are new.
m
l
March 30, 2011 5:47:32 PM

Power saver mode IS set to never
m
l
March 30, 2011 5:55:20 PM

no screen saver
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 30, 2011 6:35:46 PM

Look in the event log for application and system errors. If something crashed and is causing this, it should show up. If WoW is the only thing that's causing it, try running with no add-ons, and maybe do a clean installation.
m
l
March 30, 2011 7:11:36 PM

Ive done a clean install, updated video card drivers, and run with little add ons (mainly DBM and Omen). When I look in the event log, it doesnt say anything, however, I dont necissarily know what I should be looking for. I just dont know what could be causing this. I wonder if there is a compatability issue somewhere?
m
l
March 30, 2011 7:26:41 PM

I have, and they all come back to thinking its an overheating issue. Like I said, Ive ran speedfan while playing, the GPU never gets above 50, and the CPU never above 65
m
l
March 30, 2011 7:33:10 PM

Me too! Its horribly frustrating.
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 30, 2011 7:55:28 PM

5770 is pretty common now for a video card, don't think there are any issues with WoW with it specifically. The event log will have errors listed, check both system and application, you'll see things like "module so and so halted", etc...
m
l
March 30, 2011 9:46:41 PM

OK, I checked in event viewer, and the only thing I can find for a critical error is kernel power. I have no idea what this is
m
l
March 30, 2011 10:08:11 PM

Corrupted sector on the hard drive im betting.
m
l
March 30, 2011 10:16:47 PM

Im not ruling that out, however, wouldnt it be crashing all over doing normal things as well?
m
l
March 30, 2011 10:51:08 PM

ATi Radeon ... Kernel Power critical error ... see this all the time, especially PC reboot / hang.

Nearly always caused by driver issues, particularly after upgrading one from driver to the next, seems bits can get left behind.

Also windows 7 installs a basic ATi Radeon driver now ... I build a custom windows 7 install and remove this driver leaving only the generic VGA driver.

Uninstall and remove all traces of the ATi drivers then reinstall the latest driver.
m
l
Anonymous
March 31, 2011 11:57:32 AM

Its Driver, are you using the latest driver, if i was you , go back to 10.10, best for wow!

use Driver sweeper to remove all traces of drivers from system.

1) download 10.10 from guru3d.com (undr ATI driver section)
2) Download Driver Sweeper from guru3d.com AND INSTALL
3) Uninstall ati drivers (everything including cat center)
4) boot into safe mode, run driver sweeper, check ATI and remove everything
5) MOST IMPORTANT_____REMOVE PC FROM INTERNET______MOST IMPORTANT
6) Reboot and install 10.10 drivers whilst still off internet
7) Reboot after install and test!
8) Profit!
m
l
April 4, 2011 7:00:17 AM

maybe it is an overheating problem.... what processor do you have??? 65deg. is very hot for most AMD chips, is it not? i know the PhenomII's max temp is 62deg...... not sure about the rest of their chips tho...
m
l
April 4, 2011 6:49:48 PM

Monitor on it's way out
m
l
April 4, 2011 9:36:11 PM

rededed1976 said:
Monitor on it's way out

how did you come to the conclusion that the monitor is going bad?
m
l
April 5, 2011 6:18:19 AM

lol.
Toms won't let you edit anymore.....
there is men't to be a '?' afterwards, but using the supplied information of Monitor going into auto sleep but the Pc's fans are still running and the Led's still going. Oh, and the fact that he's changed EVERYTHING else and reinstalled it's about the only thing left.
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 5, 2011 1:21:08 PM

rededed1976 said:
lol.
Toms won't let you edit anymore.....
there is men't to be a '?' afterwards, but using the supplied information of Monitor going into auto sleep but the Pc's fans are still running and the Led's still going. Oh, and the fact that he's changed EVERYTHING else and reinstalled it's about the only thing left.

Not if it's only happening with one game. More likely there is a specific driver/system files issue during some portion of the WoW graphics engine that kills the card. Card dies, monitor goes out, but system can stay running.

Any other games use the same engine as WoW? I think it's a unique one myself, but would be nice to find something else aside from WoW that will cause this on this system.
m
l
April 6, 2011 7:11:02 AM

Have you tried turning all the settings down all the way and or turned off all addons completely and play for awhile?
m
l
!