caller ID issues

Last response: in Network Providers
October 13, 2004 2:55:11 PM

Anyone notice any issues where your cell's caller ID is reporting the WRONG
city? Used to show the state and phone no.

I'm in Norfolk, VA and both mine and my daughter's phones show Newport News,
but the exchange is definitely Norfolk. My ex's (on VZW in MD) also shows a
city nowhere near her. Other's are also telling us this.

Tech support says it must be an issue with the landline provider, but the
error is the same regardless of provider (I've got Vonage VoIP instead of VZ
landline).

Anyone else experiencing this issue? Here the change from state / no. was
noticed last week.

Joe

More about : caller issues

October 14, 2004 5:52:29 AM

Yes...VoIP is not effective for caller id or for 911 emergency services. It
really should not replace a hardwire landline.
"Joe Rutledge" <joes1junk@cox.net> wrote in message
> Anyone notice any issues where your cell's caller ID is reporting the
> WRONG city? Used to show the state and phone no.
>
> I'm in Norfolk, VA and both mine and my daughter's phones show Newport
> News, but the exchange is definitely Norfolk. My ex's (on VZW in MD) also
> shows a city nowhere near her. Other's are also telling us this.
>
> Tech support says it must be an issue with the landline provider, but the
> error is the same regardless of provider (I've got Vonage VoIP instead of
> VZ landline).
>
> Anyone else experiencing this issue? Here the change from state / no. was
> noticed last week.
>
> Joe

Anonymous
October 14, 2004 5:52:30 AM

The caller ID coming from my VZW phone shows incorrectly on ANY phone....
VZ, other cell providers....

Caller ID works just fine on my Vonage lines, both in and out, with name. No
different than pots.

Granted, VoIP has yet to deal effectively with 911, but I don't really
understand why so much empasis is placed on this issue. What did you do
before 911?? It hasn't been around forever, you know. Also, In my 58 years
I've never had to use it.

Given that my total phone bill is now about 1/3 what it was with Verizon and
a $0.039 long distance plan, I'm quite happy without a hardware landline!!
;-) You are welcome to keep sending payments to your RBOC. They appreciate
it! BTW, I just got a REFUND check from Verizon today!! Credit following
cancellation...

Now, about the thread drift issue.... Verizon Wireless started attaching the
city name to Caller ID last week instead of state. In my case and a couple
of other people that I am aware of, the city is showing INCORRECTLY. This is
a VZW issue.

Anyone else?? Please, keep the VoIP comments elsewhere.

Joe

"Draco" <truck45@aol.com> wrote in message
> Yes...VoIP is not effective for caller id or for 911 emergency services.
> It really should not replace a hardwire landline.
> "Joe Rutledge" <joes1junk@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Anyone notice any issues where your cell's caller ID is reporting the
>> WRONG city? Used to show the state and phone no.
>>
>> I'm in Norfolk, VA and both mine and my daughter's phones show Newport
>> News, but the exchange is definitely Norfolk. My ex's (on VZW in MD) also
>> shows a city nowhere near her. Other's are also telling us this.
>>
>> Tech support says it must be an issue with the landline provider, but the
>> error is the same regardless of provider (I've got Vonage VoIP instead of
>> VZ landline).
>>
>> Anyone else experiencing this issue? Here the change from state / no. was
>> noticed last week.
>>
>> Joe

Related resources
October 14, 2004 6:51:11 AM

Please get real... I have had Vonage since last October and yes there has
been issues and caller ID was one of them. However since my analog device
has been replaced with the Motorola unit it has been flawless. The only
difference on caller ID with Vonage is that your outgoing caller ID only
shows a number and not a name. With E911 that is a whole different issue and
if you register when you sign up with Vonage it should still work correctly.
I had SBC disconnect the wire over a year ago and have never looked back.

--
All Email is scanned and
declared Virus free by
"Draco" <truck45@aol.com> wrote in message
> Yes...VoIP is not effective for caller id or for 911 emergency services.
> It really should not replace a hardwire landline.
> "Joe Rutledge" <joes1junk@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Anyone notice any issues where your cell's caller ID is reporting the
>> WRONG city? Used to show the state and phone no.
>>
>> I'm in Norfolk, VA and both mine and my daughter's phones show Newport
>> News, but the exchange is definitely Norfolk. My ex's (on VZW in MD) also
>> shows a city nowhere near her. Other's are also telling us this.
>>
>> Tech support says it must be an issue with the landline provider, but the
>> error is the same regardless of provider (I've got Vonage VoIP instead of
>> VZ landline).
>>
>> Anyone else experiencing this issue? Here the change from state / no. was
>> noticed last week.
>>
>> Joe

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 8:34:58 PM

A lot of the calling cards you purchase will show a different area
code and number. I live on the Eastern Shore of VA and can get ones
here that show GA or AL on the caller ID.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:55:11 -0400, "Joe Rutledge" <joes1junk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Anyone notice any issues where your cell's caller ID is reporting the WRONG
>city? Used to show the state and phone no.
>
>I'm in Norfolk, VA and both mine and my daughter's phones show Newport News,
>but the exchange is definitely Norfolk. My ex's (on VZW in MD) also shows a
>city nowhere near her. Other's are also telling us this.
>
>Tech support says it must be an issue with the landline provider, but the
>error is the same regardless of provider (I've got Vonage VoIP instead of VZ
>landline).
>
>Anyone else experiencing this issue? Here the change from state / no. was
>noticed last week.
>
>Joe

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 2:05:04 PM

What does this issue have to do with calling cards??

The exchange is definitely for Norfolk. I've found other friends
experiencing this same issue.

Caller ID from the VZW phone shows incorrect city. VZW blames land line
company, but the problem has been seen on 4 different land line providers.

Somebody else (other that the 6 I know) has got to have this issue. Anyone?

Joe

news:p e98n05ldcv0740c4qgijh8aqg00erfelg@4ax.com...

!