Sign in with
Your question
Closed

John Carmack to Reveal Something Special

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
August 12, 2010 7:30:38 PM

Hopefully nothing related to WWII. Wolfenstein has been milked and milked and milked and..... the last Wolfenstein game didn't really pan out which was expected. I was hoping Rage would be out by now so I could be playing it. But it will come, unlike DNF...
August 12, 2010 7:36:18 PM

Doom 4 ftw, nuff' said.

Here is hopin its quake tho....
Related resources
August 12, 2010 7:46:24 PM

while im a big wolfenstein fan, they havent been able to capture the MP feel that RTCW (and later ET) had. This new one was a decent singleplayer campaign and it was alright but i felt its multiplayer was horrible. The last couple quakes havent done anything for me either, but maybe i'm getting too old now.

dm.exe ftw
August 12, 2010 7:57:39 PM

If they do another sequel I pray it's better than Wolfenstein. Doom4 I hoping will be amazing visually and gameplay wise.. and for god's sake.. have him find some duct tape to attach a light to a firearm
August 12, 2010 8:02:41 PM

No thanks Mr. Carmack, I don't want to see your something special.
August 12, 2010 8:04:25 PM

at this point anything actually "new" would be nice and not vaporware.
August 12, 2010 8:05:39 PM

What we know is that the game will be locked at 30fps to incorporate a higher visual quality--three times that of Rage.

The P.O.S consoles can't do impressive graphics at 60+ fps, PC FTW!!!!!
August 12, 2010 8:28:29 PM

Duke Nukem Forever has been secretly picked up Gearbox using id Tech 5 all in a not so subtle FU to George Broussard by Take-Two in spite of the fact that id is a member of a rival company and Gearbox has no experience working with id engines.
August 12, 2010 8:33:59 PM

ID software is merging with Apple because of his love affair with the iPhone!
/kidding
August 12, 2010 8:45:21 PM

Looks like id Software is making a combat after being in hibernation for the past few years. About damn time!
August 12, 2010 8:50:27 PM

Quake Arena 2, PLEEEEEEEEASE
August 12, 2010 8:53:11 PM

Blah, I've seen so many headlines saying Carmack's done with game development and working with NASA making some ub3r moon shuttle, or he's now he's saving the world from aids and starvation yada yada. I just hope it doesn't have anything to do with another failed DOOM iteration. When I played Doom 3 I could turn off my monitor and not recognize the difference in game play.. :) 
August 12, 2010 8:56:15 PM

RADIO_ACTIVEID software is merging with Apple because of his love affair with the iPhone!/kidding

So it is Steve Jobs going through giving everyone Negative ratings
Anonymous
August 12, 2010 8:56:38 PM

I bet he's gonna call a press conference, ask the cameras to zoom in, and then show somethin' special by whipping out his johnson.
August 12, 2010 8:57:19 PM

OR....

You can stop rehashing the same old crap and start making new games with new stories. Quake and Doom have been played out, the stories are old, and newer companies are making games with fresh concepts. Take Portal or Bioshock for example.
Anonymous
August 12, 2010 9:18:21 PM

All I can guess about whatever the upcoming game is is there will be more monster spawning closets and glossy plastic looking character models.
August 12, 2010 9:21:29 PM

So now that it's 5:30 ET, should the announcement have been made by now? What was it?
August 12, 2010 9:21:52 PM

pocketdrummerOR....You can stop rehashing the same old crap and start making new games with new stories. Quake and Doom have been played out, the stories are old, and newer companies are making games with fresh concepts. Take Portal or Bioshock for example.

this! we don't need a repackaged version of the same old FPS cliche.
August 12, 2010 9:24:12 PM

borisof007Quake Arena 2, PLEEEEEEEEASE

THIS!
August 12, 2010 9:27:18 PM

I would like to see a remake of Quake 2. Carmack hinted at that a while ago.
August 12, 2010 9:30:41 PM

I bet it's Commander Keen!!
August 12, 2010 9:37:50 PM

The headline sounds a little dirty...

I would not mind another Wolfinstein :) 
August 12, 2010 10:09:19 PM

"We do already have more IPs than we can exploit," he told OPM. "I doubt we're going to do another IP. It's scary to say it, but maybe not in the next decade even, because we want to support Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake - and hopefully we can add Rage onto that - and I don't want five teams here. Three is scary enough."

EA games... Please take a note. -.-'
August 12, 2010 10:12:16 PM

Carmack is going to take over Balmer's job at MS? Now that would be something special!
Anonymous
August 12, 2010 10:38:29 PM

I know it wont sell like HALO or something or COD... but Please another quake ARENA.
I was top 10 1vs1 in Portugal... didnt study for 1.5 years... stayed awake for 2 days once... lost a GF, left my hair and bear grow for one month once, hahaha...

I have respect for quake ARENA, its the most balanced thing and PRO-skill thing ever...
I had 35-40% on MG

I had 7 Mouses( not counting the ones i smashed ), and 4 Mouse PADS... and my lovely Pentium III 800 with a voodoo 5, i bought that rig because of Quake LOL ^^...
Even my headphones were expensive... 200 USD
those replays from FATAL1ty were amazing lol. that guy can aim fast... learned alot from his replays...

QUAKE ARENA made me GOOD on every FPS... Aiming seemed so easy in other games because of quake.
Quake was a SPORT
I always Finish Games on HARD and INSANE because i played Quake III ARENA so well...

GOD Bless Quake III Arena
Im 28 now, no time to play, skill not the same
August 12, 2010 11:15:50 PM

PreySo it is Steve Jobs going through giving everyone Negative ratings

I guess they didn't like my Apple joke and gave me thumbs down what a bunch of lolercats!
Anonymous
August 12, 2010 11:44:11 PM

I personally think that John Carmack is the most over rated person in gaming and that Id is the most irrelevant game developer right now. I have seen nothing as outstanding or ground breaking as the original Doom and Quake and nothing they have done in the last decade+ has been worth more than a cursory glance.
August 13, 2010 12:28:46 AM

He made the same type of announcement the last several years. Nothing ever comes of this stuff. I don't even go to QuakeCon any more even though it is local. Just nothing new there. I have purchased and played every game they have ever made, but lately I find stuff from Ubisoft more compelling. Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, WIC, COJ, etc...
August 13, 2010 1:32:10 AM

pocketdrummerOR....You can stop rehashing the same old crap and start making new games with new stories. Quake and Doom have been played out, the stories are old, and newer companies are making games with fresh concepts. Take Portal or Bioshock for example.

Doom and Quake had stories?? I need to play again...
August 13, 2010 2:28:03 AM

it could be scary and exciting, hope it's good.
August 13, 2010 2:31:01 AM

yzfr1guyBlah, I've seen so many headlines saying Carmack's done with game development and working with NASA making some ub3r moon shuttle, or he's now he's saving the world from aids and starvation yada yada. I just hope it doesn't have anything to do with another failed DOOM iteration. When I played Doom 3 I could turn off my monitor and not recognize the difference in game play..

cool and i thought i was the only person that found doom 3 to be shallow and boring game exprience
August 13, 2010 2:42:19 AM

tolhamthis! we don't need a repackaged version of the same old FPS cliche.

no we don't but consider this after 20+ years ID has never done any thign but FPSers , i highly doubt they could do another genre of game and it be worth two cents they just don't have the exprience in other genres. designing a FPSer ,is completely difernt form designing say a rpg m the wholeprocess of modeling , and texturing things cahnges with genre , in a FSPer you sue crisp textures that are seen up close and highly detailed models , ona n rpg you build texturesa dn models that are better seen when the camera is backed off it's a whole differnt design concept. perfect example of this si oblivion and fallout 2 because these games both offer a 3rd persioon view adna first person view , hiowever the games were really designed for 3rd person (even thoguh lotta folks paly in 1st) you can tell from the textures in fps veiw , many texctrues on those games look blurry compared to when you hit the 3rd person toggle. oddlky enought fallout 3 actually gets better frame rates in 3rd person as well

jsut saying point is id is too sunkj into FPSers and i doubt any effort in any toher genre would be a worth playing game . they are just to wired to developing FPSers
August 13, 2010 4:28:12 AM

Doom 4! Doom 4!! Doom 4!!! Doom 4!!!!
August 13, 2010 4:38:39 AM

rage on iphone.. pretty cool
August 13, 2010 8:42:59 AM

You're aware that Bioshock is a underwater version of System Shock from 1994 right? Not saying it's bad in any way, both System Shock and Bioshock are excellent games. :)  I wish for a remake of the original System Shock tbh.
August 13, 2010 1:07:54 PM

I really hope that it is Doom 4.
August 13, 2010 2:50:30 PM

This looks like a non-story to me.

Next up: "It's hot in Summer! TomsHardware Exclusive!"
August 13, 2010 5:48:02 PM

It will be an HD update to their very first game Commander Keen. It will be titled Commander Keen HD remix. Now in glorious 1080p.
August 14, 2010 12:45:33 AM

How about another Wolfenstein? Deathshead is still alive. Last one sucked though...
August 15, 2010 5:49:33 AM

@ Strider-Hiryu_79
what if it really is Commander Keen lol?
!