MY MObo is Acting FuNNy

G

I got an ABIT KT7A-Raid and I tried to do the voltage MOD.
Thats when i ran into troubles. I accidentally ripped off a small resistor that is near BC155. Thats when the trouble started. It wouldnt POST any more. SO i just shorted the points where it was. It POSTEd, but there is a vErY wierd noise coming from the area where and MOSFET's and condensors are. It is like a staticy crackeling noise. SO, i then got an old VOoDOo3 and took one of the little resistors off of it and put it where the one i had ripped off was (IT WAS DAMN HARD TO DO). BUT, this still didnt help anything. I do know a thing or two about circuts, and I think this is leakage (if any of you know what that is). I am not sure about this, and ANY help would be greatly appreciated!! I dont want to have to buy a new MOBO. PS: The capacitors around the MOSFETS were gettin a little warm. I am not sure is this is normal, but i just thought it worth noting.

G

Um, if you know a thing or two about circuits, then you should have known better than to short the points where the resistor used to be. There are any number of really BAD things that could have done including shorting a signal directly to power/ground, changing a RC time constant, etc. You would really need to replace the resistor with one of equal value to be sure you haven't changed the MB's operation. And since MB manufacturors tend to use the really small 201 and 402 package resistors, it can be damn hard to read off the value even with a good magnifying glass and the knowledge to decode the markings. BTW, are you sure you knocked off a resistor? I know on most MBs I've looked at, there are many locations where there is no chip placed between the solder points. Generally, these positions act as tiny capacitors in the pF range. Oh, that brings up the issue of whether you knocked off a resistor or a capacitor or something else. When they are that small, it can be hard to know the difference. You'll probably need to use a multimeter to check out another board to know for sure.

As for the noises coming from the board, I'd strongly recommend you stop using that board until you or a technician can check it out. I'd actually be concerned that what you are hearing is the little capacitors popping and it may be only a matter of time till one of the big ones explodes. This is a BAD THING. Either trash it and buy a new one or get some professional help.