Sign in with
Your question

HUGE FPS drop every 1-2 minutes..

Last response: in Video Games
April 1, 2011 7:22:21 PM

Hey everyone, thought I would come on this very knowledgable community to get some information.. I have..

EVGA GTX 460 768mb ddr5
x4 630 processor at 2.8
2 gigs of 330mhz ddr2
430 watt psu (good brand, i forget the name but to be honest this is to low and i'm wondering if this is the problem)

For some reason in every game I play, after 1-2 minute my fps will go from 80-125 down to 15 and its so choppy and unplayable I usually just die or have to hide in a corner.. it lasts about 15 seconds and then pops out and continues running good for another minute or so.. I checked my GPU temp and it never gets hotter then 55 degrees, I also downloaded CPU-z but I cant find my cpu temp on there so not really sure what that is lol.. Any help would be appreciated ive tried a lot of stuff and can't seem to fix it.. reinstalled my gpu drivers, ran scans, its getting annoying :(  just bought this computer to game and this problem really limits it.

More about : huge fps drop minutes

April 1, 2011 7:31:40 PM

nicholax said:
Hey everyone, thought I would come on this very knowledgable community to get some information.. I have..

EVGA GTX 460 768mb ddr5
x4 630 processor at 2.8
2 gigs of 330mhz ddr2
430 watt coolermaster psu ( i'm wondering if this is the problem)

For some reason in every game I play, after 1-2 minute my fps will go from 80-125 down to 15 and its so choppy and unplayable I usually just die or have to hide in a corner.. it lasts about 15 seconds and then pops out and continues running good for another minute or so.. I checked my GPU temp and it never gets hotter then 55 degrees, I also downloaded CPU-z but I cant find my cpu temp on there so not really sure what that is lol.. Any help would be appreciated ive tried a lot of stuff and can't seem to fix it.. reinstalled my gpu drivers, ran scans, its getting annoying :(  just bought this computer to game and this problem really limits it.

m
l
April 1, 2011 7:37:56 PM

Are you using two monitors? if so can you run task manager and see what tasks come to the top of the list when its doing it? Can you also look at event manager and see if something recurs regularly?
m
l
Related resources
April 1, 2011 7:40:02 PM

the task that comes up is whatever the game im playing is
m
l
April 1, 2011 7:55:30 PM

look on processes
m
l
April 1, 2011 7:56:22 PM

for instanced i had the appledeviceassistant or whatever its called taking focus from the game every minute because it wasn't running properly.
m
l
April 1, 2011 7:57:31 PM

no nothing abnormal is coming up i dont think its my cpu useage
m
l
April 2, 2011 1:46:00 PM

try turning out any automated tasks. date and time for instance, turn off web updates.
m
l
April 2, 2011 8:09:07 PM

Maybe check your RAM usage, I'm not sure what games you're playing but with 2GB you could actually be getting close to maxing that out. When I had two gigs I couldn't even play Company of Heroes on some maps because it would get so choppy from not enough RAM.
Also, does this happen no matter what graphics settings the games are on?
m
l
April 3, 2011 3:53:30 AM

you may well be rite about the ram being an issue especially if he's using 64bit o.s.
also check the paige file. it should be set to 1.5 times the size of your actual ram so for 2 gigs you want a 3 gig paige file. any more than this ratio and you will often see a performance drop.
m
l
!