Crytek Says 3D is the Future of Crysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
if they made it more fun, without aliens... that would be a better future for the game. i could only get into crysis games for the beginning levels. once the alieans started floating about, the appeal planed off. not expecting a whole lot out of the new crysis game due to that.

JohnnyChrist

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]braneman[/nom]now imagine the computer you would have to get to play Crysis 2 in 3d, maybe you'd have to tape two high end rigs together.[/citation]
hahahahahahano.

Crysis 2 is said to have LESS DEMANDING graphics than the original. Its pretty believable considering it will also be on consoles. You'd never see a console run the original.

zehpavora

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
3D may be the future, but is the future this close? I mean, computers are way ahead in technology (or are the consoles too old?), but the hardware for 3D is still too expensive for the mainstream. Here in Brasil, I don't know anyone with 3D TVs, or even 3D monitors, etc.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I still believe 3d is just a fad. I've tried to watch things in 3d all it does is give me headaches and cost more.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
I am not a fan of 3d, no matter how well its done in theaters or even in the home it still gives me a headache and takes away from the experience in my opinion. If I want 3d I will go outside and enjoy it. The fact that everything is being converted to 3d for the sake of charging a little extra even when the 3d is poorly done and is an afterthought (Clash of the Titans and The Last Airbender come to mind) does not help 3d's case with me.

In the gaming world I think we are many many years away from having the technology (at an affordable price) to truly integrate 3d into our games, what they are doing now seems more of a gimmick hologram type of thing.

who here prefers the poorly implemented 3d of today over full definition 2d?

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]JohnnyChrist[/nom]hahahahahahano.Crysis 2 is said to have LESS DEMANDING graphics than the original. Its pretty believable considering it will also be on consoles. You'd never see a console run the original.[/citation]

Minimum system requirements are less. AKA, low end requires less, high end requires more. Console version and PC version dont look the same (although in terms of a console game, the console side still looks very impressive).

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
too bad, i cant even watch 3D movie,i felt dizzy easily
i remembered last time i watched final destination 4 3D ~ i almost puke on my pants ~

Sorry, no 3D for me ~

Probably a good reason for me to stick with ATI card ~ and cheaper TV , monitor? no 3DS ?

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I'm on the fence as far as 3D goes, that includes movies, games, or T.V. However, let this article serve as a indicator that the future will be 3D, whether you want it or not; you will be dragged into the 3D revolution kicking and screaming.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
At least as far as cinema goes, there is no way that 3D is going to become the de facto standard format. I'm not so sure about video games. If all the publishing heavyweights decide to push 3D from here on out, people like myself who despise it as a cheesy gimmick may be forced to look elsewhere for entertainment.

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
the crytek engine is awesome.. BUT imho.. crysis is horrible.. guess what game fried my HD4890? yup.. crysis.. and that was literally right before i was about to uninstall it.. the games boring.. AND its evil.. it knew i was going to uninstall it so it blew up my video card!!!

winner4455

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Here's the thing: 3d might cost a lot more and be annoying right now, but as technology advances it might become more viable and a lot better to something you do want. But for that to happen, you need to take the first steps. Just thing about the first computer made... Would you want that in your room? Look at computers now.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
[citation][nom]braneman[/nom]now imagine the computer you would have to get to play Crysis 2 in 3d, maybe you'd have to tape two high end rigs together.[/citation]

I look forward to Crysis 3D bringing the next ten years worth of PC technology to its knees.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Huh, 3D will require twice the framerate, and most computers could barely squeek out a playable 30FPS for the first game. Still, 3D is the logical progression of SLI/Crossfire, if you already have each card render every other frame (depending on the mode), nothing says it has to do it from the same angle. The entry cost though is just too much (special monitor + graphics card(s) + glasses -OR- console + TV + glasses). However, if they make it truly playable in 3D mode, it will be even more playable for those of us sticking with 2D.

Roger Ebert had a really good article about how 3D is just the current gimmick being used by Hollywood to try to get people into theaters (where the real money is made). With BluRay and HDTVs over 60" in retail stores, people don't need to go to theaters to see a big-screen and high-definition movie. 3D is a marketing ploy to offer something in the theaters you can't get at home (in the early days, it was moving pictures in general, then it was air conditioning, then color, then picture size/quality, then surround sound, now 3D). I'm not sure what Hollywood will do if 3D TVs take off (I don't think they will), but it won't be pretty.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I really don't see why so many people hate 3D or even glasses... It's soooo cool, and Carvat is right, cause it's very unlikely that so many 3D TVs were made and now they will just stop making those anymore. Crysis is a great game, I am just waiting to get a better V-card so I can play it in 3D. All of my games are just on disk waiting for that. Don't hate lol, cause I don't care haha.

puscifer919

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I personally don't care for 3D at all. Hopefully there will never be a game, movie, or other form of entertainment that does not included a "standard" option. If a game I would normal love only comes in 3D, I won't be buying it.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]miloo[/nom]too bad, i cant even watch 3D movie,i felt dizzy easily i remembered last time i watched final destination 4 3D ~ i almost puke on my pants ~ Sorry, no 3D for me ~ Probably a good reason for me to stick with ATI card ~ and cheaper TV , monitor? no 3DS ?[/citation]

Most 3DS games will not require 3d and you can easily turn it off with a switch. Good thinking on Nintendos part there.

naidnerb

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
I keep on seeing that OCZ Vertex 2 SSD advert on this page. So sick of the " expensive like made of gold" kind of storage. Who in the right mind will prefer 64 GB with some speed to 1,5 TB at normal speed...? Dear OCZ I'll gladly hear of " the best of the cheapest" instead of "the best of the most expensive" aka " the best of the best". You're paying those Ad Agencies only to discover that my first line is way better than yours. He-he...good for me, bad for you. Remember dear ssd makers : we the IT users want nothing more than the best of the cheapest. Since money don't grow on trees except fr you who pay for "the best of the best" line. A superlative is absolute, only "the best" suckers.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
It doesn't give me a headache at all. But I tried the Nvidia demo at Fry's the other day and I was getting used to it. It didn't feel a whole lot different from playing a normal game without 3d glasses after a short period of time, much like the demo in the nvidia drivers with the red/blue glasses.

It is just somewhat novelty, but I believe it will be more interesting on the Nintendo 3DS. It is mainly a gimmick but at least Nintendo is finally putting out a console with good graphics at any rate and there's a slider to turn off the 3D if one needs to.

[citation][nom]mrecio[/nom]I am not a fan of 3d, no matter how well its done in theaters or even in the home it still gives me a headache and takes away from the experience in my opinion. If I want 3d I will go outside and enjoy it. The fact that everything is being converted to 3d for the sake of charging a little extra even when the 3d is poorly done and is an afterthought (Clash of the Titans and The Last Airbender come to mind) does not help 3d's case with me.In the gaming world I think we are many many years away from having the technology (at an affordable price) to truly integrate 3d into our games, what they are doing now seems more of a gimmick hologram type of thing.who here prefers the poorly implemented 3d of today over full definition 2d?[/citation]

farrow099

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Everyone seems to be ignoring the complete LACK of 3d content. There is only ONE, that's right, ONE 3d blu-ray on the market at the moment.

3d Vision? Pff, even a gtx480 slows to a crawl. I've considered selling my gear everyday since the day I bought it. It simply isn't nearly as impressive as the hype.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
When Gabe Newell at Valve says "The future of Half-Life will be 3D" I'll bust out my wallet for a new HDTV and stupid glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.