Half-Life original vs Half-Life 2 graphics.

Th_Redman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I've just started playing Half-Life original after playing Half-Life 2 and man...what a difference in graphic quality. I realize that there is, what, a 5 year-in release difference but man, the original game graphics are sadly lacking. Has anyone else recently played both games and noticed this situation as well? And when will Half-Life 3 be released? Anyone know the answer? Thanks agian experts.

Solution
1. Half Life 1 having been released in 1998 was darn epic for its time, even in terms of graphics. If you're comparing Half Life 1 graphics, compare it with something with Deus Ex 1. For that time, the graphics were awesome! You can't compare Half Life 1 graphics with Half Life 2, just not right. :)

2. Half Life 1 'has' been re-done with the source engine. It's called Half Life: Source.

What I'm really waiting on is the release (if ever) of 'Black Mesa'. That would again be epic, the old story line with the new age graphics.
HL1's graphics might seem lacking compared to HL2, but it is still fun to play. I played it again back in 2008 for it's 10th year anniversary.

I heard there's is a team that is developing a HL1 mod for HL2 on their spare time. Basically using the Source Engine for the HL1 story, but it's been about 2 years since I heard anything about it... And something like this generally takes awhile.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
1. Half Life 1 having been released in 1998 was darn epic for its time, even in terms of graphics. If you're comparing Half Life 1 graphics, compare it with something with Deus Ex 1. For that time, the graphics were awesome! You can't compare Half Life 1 graphics with Half Life 2, just not right. :)

2. Half Life 1 'has' been re-done with the source engine. It's called Half Life: Source.

What I'm really waiting on is the release (if ever) of 'Black Mesa'. That would again be epic, the old story line with the new age graphics.

Solution

rambostyrer

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Can't compare the two, but as I remember everybody thought that H1 graphics were pretty good when it came out.

but half-life 2 is also a freaking masterpiece! not only technically, but also on the world and environment the graphics made.

Shame that the development in graphics has been so poor since games like Half-life 2 Oblivion and Crysis. I blame the consoles for that.