Sign in with
Your question

Help Please, I need help choosing a motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2001 8:46:08 AM

I'm a BIG newbie, I know nothing about anything to do with motherboards, except u plug lots of nifty things into them. But for my new computer, I've decided to build, but I don't know one motherboard from another.

Basically, I need one that will fit an 850 Duron, but no 'on board' stuff like this Hewlett Packard I'm using has.

If someone could tell me some model numbers or names of mother boards that I could research, I'd be most thankful.

More about : choosing motherboard

March 21, 2001 10:13:06 AM

Look at the 'Asus A7V' or the 'Abit KT7A'
www.asus.com.tw
www.abit.com

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2001 12:24:32 PM

I think one of the best options is the asus A7V. I've got it in my computer and works fine!
Related resources
March 21, 2001 4:29:43 PM

Everybody says A7V blah blah blah. If you use USB devices like modem,keyboard,mouse,scanner,printer, all those "nifty" things you want, they won't work right with the A7V. The VIA chipset doesn't jive with usb. E veryone and their mother has problems with this ME INCLUDED. I don't know if it only affects win98se users or what but thats what I run, I've tried the latest drivers and patches and it still works like crap if at all. Other than that it's a wonderful board. I just happen to want USB to work, and the funniest part is that this board comes with 4 USB ports that they know damn well don't work right. Read and you'll see A7V133 problems everywhere. If you use usb stay away from a motherboard with VIA chipset. This is just my opinion. I am not an expert. I just read alot and am very unhappy with my new computer that i just built for 1200 nbucks that works the balls ezxcept for USB.
March 21, 2001 10:07:24 PM

Don`t forget one of the most stable boards on the market...the IWILL KK266 or IWILL KK266-RAID.

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2001 4:11:11 AM

Thanks for your help, its greatly appreciated. I went to the computer shop where I'll get it, the fella brought out a board, the A-BIT KT7 133, its got one AGP, 4 PCI, and the old slot type, really wide, I need that for my scanner card. 2 USB, 2 serial, 2 PS/2 and one LPT. All for $299 Australian dollars. I didn't ask the chipset, cuz I had no idea what is was, and I still don't.

So if I decide on this one, would it stand up?? Oh and I want Sound Blaster Live, and TNT2 32meg in it, has anyone had any trouble with sound and graphics cards in this board?
!