Red orchestra ostfront vs project reality

romanrp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Hello, today I want to buy a game to fulfill my realism craving.
I have narrowed it down to 2 games, Red Orchestra:eek:stfront 41-45 and battlefield 2 with the project reality mod .
I know one is a ww2 game while the other one is modern warfare, but I am asking which one is a better game overall?
Better as in fun, realism etc etc.

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Both games have a fairly low population.

Battlefield 2: Project Reality is based off the BF2 game and that was more geared towards a jump in a and play game compared to Rd Orchestra which is designed as a pseudo tank simulator. Red Orchestra also features fairly realistic projectile physics, but has no squad functions that Project Reality has.

Also Project Reality is a BF2 mod while Red Orchestra is a full game.

romanrp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I dont mind the low population, would rather have like 50 decent players than 100000 noobs and hackers.
BF2 and RO are both around the same price on steam, and the original BF2 is fun but sucked when it came to realism. So I will be definitely modding it.

Also, I dont have a headset/mic so i dont know how that would affect my PR experience.

Have you played any of those games?

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I think a lot of PR players rely on communication to play, often because PR pushed teamwork even more than what BF2 resulted in; in BF2 vanilla you can win without communication as long a everyone handled the game well, while PR requires comms to win.

In RO I've seen very few people use voice comms since the game often relies on a fairly realistic idea that if you send enough rifle troops towards the enemy you will eventually break through. Though I guess voice comms is very useful in tank warfare, where tanks require 2-3 people to manage and are realistic in the way they battle, projectile speeds, movement and armor thickness; so maneuvering to the best orientation and location is critical

epifanio66

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
hey there, doubt op will read this but which one did you end up getting? I had doubts if there were still people online playing, small community for both (coop and pvp servers for pr and few servers left for the original red orchestra) I bumped into kinguin.com and got keys for both games really cheap. You don't need a mic but it helps. Project reality community is really cool...farewell