*228 what does it do and how do you do it?

Last response: in Network Providers
October 13, 2004 10:26:31 PM

I see in manual it says that occasionaly you should update your
software using *228. OK fine but when I do that it has 2 options. One
says update your software and the other says ot update your roaming
info.

So should I do both? One or the other? Which one? Should I do none and
leave it alone? Just curious. I don't want to be walking around with
old software :-)

More about : 228

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 10:26:32 PM

Sentinel wrote:
> I see in manual it says that occasionaly you should update your
> software using *228. OK fine but when I do that it has 2 options. One
> says update your software and the other says ot update your roaming
> info.
>
> So should I do both? One or the other? Which one? Should I do none and
> leave it alone? Just curious. I don't want to be walking around with
> old software :-)

Neither does anything with updating your software.

1) *configures* your phone for use on VZW. They pick up your
ESN (Electronic Serial Number) and download the configuration.
This would be items like you cell number, the serving providers ID
(Verizon Wireless), etc. You should only need do this *once*
when activating your phone. It won't hurt to do it again but that
information rarely changes.

2) updates (downloads) your PRL, Preferred Roaming List which
the phone uses to decide what signal to connect to. Do this once
a month to keep it up to date.

-Quick

2)
Anonymous