Wireless drops after enabeling WEP Security

Jim

On the 2 computers running Win 98SE the connection to the AP drops them
randomly every 18 to 36 hours.

I have a D-Link NIC in both computers one is a DWL-G659 and the other is a
DWL-G520. My AP id a D-Link DI-624. This did not happen prior to enabling
security features. I have WEP on an open key.

I have to reboot the AP to resolve the problem from a wired computer.

18 to 36 hours sounds pretty good. Do you mean the connection is active for
18 to 36 hours then drops?
With the extra computing power to encode and decode
wep, they may be dropping due to heat exhaustion.

"Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message
> On the 2 computers running Win 98SE the connection to the AP drops them
> randomly every 18 to 36 hours.
>
> I have a D-Link NIC in both computers one is a DWL-G659 and the other is a
> DWL-G520. My AP id a D-Link DI-624. This did not happen prior to
enabling
> security features. I have WEP on an open key.
>
> I have to reboot the AP to resolve the problem from a wired computer.

Jim

The network or home network disconnects and thus so does the internet. The
NIC cards are cool enough and the AP is never even warm. I can't imagine
the WEP encryption would heat up the cards as it is software driven.

Jim wrote:

> On the 2 computers running Win 98SE the connection to the AP drops them
> randomly every 18 to 36 hours.
>
> I have a D-Link NIC in both computers one is a DWL-G659 and the other is a
> DWL-G520. My AP id a D-Link DI-624. This did not happen prior to enabling
> security features. I have WEP on an open key.
>
> I have to reboot the AP to resolve the problem from a wired computer.

That is certainly not a universal feature of WEP. My WEP'd connection
(based on different hardware from yours) is very stable, frequently good
for over a week. I do reboot the laptop every week or two, but almost
never due to loss of wireless connection.
--
Cheers, Bob

The heat exaustion was just a pun, but there are APs that use software
to encrypt/decrypt (usually the least expensive) and there are those
that use hardware. Some even add an extra processor to do the work.
More processor cycles = more heat. Some cards have built in heat
detection and turn themselves off, or they notify the OS which turns
them off. So even a pun is possible.

"Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Jim wrote:
>
> > On the 2 computers running Win 98SE the connection to the AP drops
them
> > randomly every 18 to 36 hours.
> >
> > I have a D-Link NIC in both computers one is a DWL-G659 and the
other is a
> > DWL-G520. My AP id a D-Link DI-624. This did not happen prior to
enabling
> > security features. I have WEP on an open key.
> >
> > I have to reboot the AP to resolve the problem from a wired
computer.

> That is certainly not a universal feature of WEP. My WEP'd
connection
> (based on different hardware from yours) is very stable, frequently
good
> for over a week. I do reboot the laptop every week or two, but
almost
> never due to loss of wireless connection.
> --
> Cheers, Bob

"Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote:
>On the 2 computers running Win 98SE the connection to the AP drops them
>randomly every 18 to 36 hours.

Do they both drop at the same time? If so, this (and the temporary
workaround of rebooting the AP) woud tend to indicate that the problem
is in the AP. I assume it's at the latest firmware. You might try a
factory reset and reloading all your values, it's possible something
got set improperly. You might try asking D-Link, though they'll
almost certainly not have an answer, or try another AP.

Jim

No they drop at different times, it even effects the wired computers.
Jim