SiS 730S and VIA KM133

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm getting frustrated. I'm really trying to find an integrated board with one of these chipsets.

I've read that the SiS is better, and although I can find information it is very sketchy. For example, I can find the Asus A7S-VM on Pricewatch for $120, but I can't find info on it at Asus's website. Info is rare and thorough reviews are non-existant. The chipsets have been around for a while now too. There is more on the KM133, but I want to be able to compare a couple of good boards with both chipsets...

Regardless, the resources to compare and make a reasonable decision aren't there. Any ideas or experience??

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
It isnt a review but have you tried sis.com/tw There you will be able to find tech info. Dont forget the /tw as it is in taiwan. My sis 620 has turned out to be pretty reliable, so I am guessing that the 730 being 2 versions newer will hopefully be 2 versions better. I know this is a bad word in some circles but PcChips uses sis chips often as does Amptron who is made by PcChips but seems to be much better at customer service. With a little diddleing around motherboards.org has a list of companies that sell pcChips boards under various names. One thing to think about when looking around is that you will find that the model numbers are usually simalar so possibly you may find that the VM on the asus board may mean the same on a board made by someone else, thus providing some clues for you. Good luck and I will try to do a little checking around for you too.

You Dont Want To Be The Last to Know Anything.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
heard of A7S-VM for the first time! Not there on the AMD website, but how could pricewatch keep this motherboard which Asus doesnt advertise to have made?

I am expecting the Asus A7VI-VM, KM133 board for my Duron 700, hope to get it soon here in India.

There was a comparative review of these integrated chipsets for Socket A processors on Anandtech, do read it. Besides those and the websites of the manufacturers (ALi for ALiMagik1, VIA for KM133, SiS for 730s) there is not much info about htese chipsets and their motherboards. If anybody knows about such motherboards (and more important, their availability especially in India) please drop me a mail.

Regds.

Girish

die-hard fans, do not have have heat-sinks!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Read the review, and will take all your advice, but at least you see my frustration. If only these boards were easily available and thoroughly reviewed, the Duron would get more market share.

Think about it this way. A duron is 70 bucks, cheap memory is 45, and a motherboard for 80. That's one hell of a cheap upgrade for those people who don't need the top end performance...

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>