Asus A7V133 / Duron 800 Burned?

G

I was experimenting with overclocking my new bought duron 800 on a asus a7v133 board. Suddenly it didn't work anymore and when I set the settings back to the original, it didn't start. I did everything I could to make it post again, but it didn't.
Back to the shop with it. They checked my system and said that both my motherboard as my duron 800 were broke. They said it was my fault because of overclocking. I strongly doubt this because I didn't go further than 1000Mhz.
(8*125)

My question:
Can a motherboard & CPU die because of minor overclocking?

I didn't get a new board&cpu and I have reason to believe I can sue them (app.$400 is a lot!)?
Please help..

G

Can a MB and CPU die because of overclocking? I've heard yes, though I've never known anyone that actually damaged their hardware that way. Usually you just go to a point where the system becomes unstable or won't post and you slow it down a bit and it works.

Can you sue them? Probably not since if you read all your warranties, they specifically state that the warranty is void if you overclock. Besides, if it worked and now doesn't then it would be pretty hard to prove they sold you a defective product. Their lawyers can just say that you broke the warranty and destroyed it, end of story.

I don't know what the shop tried in order to fix it, but you may want to try getting a new BIOS PROM as it could just be that it is fried and the MB is fine. Also check your power supply isn't the culprit. If it burned this MB, it'll burn the next.

G

25% overclocking is NOT what i call minor overclocking with a normal fan... CPUs usually go up to 110% of the default clock without any problems with their default fans... beyond that, you gotta watch yourself, you gotta keep in mind that the cpu you bought was meant to go at 800Mhz not 1000Mhz.

(note: i know some cpus can go beyond 110% w/o problems but i am just making a general statement here)

"Byte, Kilobyte, Megabyte, Gigabyte, Terrabyte, Pentabyte, Exabyte, Zettabyte, Yottabyte..."