In game videos pixelized?

Zeppman89

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I just purchased a custom built gaming rig from infotech.
It runs games like Crysis on optimal graphics settings perfectly in game. But I'm having problems with in game videos on my system being pixelized even when they're supposed to be in hd. I've downloaded the latest drivers for my graphics card and can't figure out what the problem is. I've tried two different monitors using the dvi cable my new Asus 20" LED monitor uses. Same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
My system specs are :

4 gigs ram
Gtx 550ti video card
Asus p8p67 motherboard With p67 b3 revision
Intel core i5 2400 quadcore processor
Anything else u need to know?

Zeppman89

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Thanks, but I already have the graphics set right where they need to be. It's not just in game videos either, its basically any video I watch on the system. I'm at a loss for what the problem is...

ZakX11

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
What is your resolution?
To watch videos in HD you need to adjust your Resolution of the game and of windows likewise.You can't watch videos in HD on 800 x 600.
please post info about your display monitor.

Zeppman89

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Well I've tried a different monitor and also a VGA cable also. Plus, when I took the pc in to have infotech look at it, they swapped out the graphics card supposedly. So I don't know what the issue is.

Zeppman89

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Well, I got my system back from the shop last week and, they obviously didn't even check it out. I'm still having the same problem. Most videos I try to watch on the system are pixelated as hell. Here's a screenshot of a video from Crysis 2.
Pixelization.jpg

I've tried different drivers, codecs, and nothing seems to help. I don't believe it's a hardware issue though because all videos and images would be pixelated right? They told me they switched out my video card, and its doing the same thing. So i've kind of ruled it out. What's going on?

There's nothing wrong with the video card.

The "Lithoship" video is a bad example to use because the video itself is pixellated. The pixellation is basically used to show some transmission or recording interference in Prophet's symbiotic armor.

Videos are "as is". As long as the proper codec is being used to playback the video, there should be no addition video artifacts appearing other than what has already been encoded into the video.

Zeppman89

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
That wasn't a perfect example, but most videos, even ones that should be clear like on my laptop are a blocky mess. I've tried running the videos in windowed mode with the same issue.

how big are the blocks? in cm/inches approx? if its on the order of 1mm then its just the way it is.

sounds like the vids you are watching have been badly compressed.
original dvds have less blocking as they are not compressed as much. hd 1s even less so.
it will be very noticeable on downloaded copies of movies all you can do is make sure yos set your media player to use hardware acceleration and deblocking via your gfx cards profile. you may also not have the rite codecs installed. if you have vista, win 7 then all you will need is vlc player but if you use wmp 12 then get vlc anyway as it will help with wpm comparability. (for some reason im not entirely sure of)
if you have xp then use the xp codec pack . i cant recommend k-lite as i have often found its hard to get a clean version.
also. only have 1 codec pack installed. if you have more you will get conflicts.