Sign in with
Your question

Computer Problems...

Last response: in Video Games
April 4, 2011 5:15:39 PM

Nearly every time I play Garry's Mod (Source engine), my computer crashes. I'm able to play for a couple hours, then my monitor displays brown bars all across the screen and my speakers rapidly plays the last sound that was experienced in game. I am unable to do anything after that, but a hard shutdown. Any idea what the problem(s) is/are?

System:
Windows 7 x64
ATI Radeon HD 5770
4GB RAM
250GB HDD
AMD Athlon II x4 240 processor @2.8gHz

Can post Sysinfo if needed

Thanks!

More about : computer problems

April 5, 2011 10:48:33 PM

Had the computer built about 2 years ago along with the monitor. Video drivers updated with steams AMD updater and AMD's website. Game is updated automatically with each released update. Can't find similar posts :/ 
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2011 11:04:48 PM

Going to uninstall/reinstall the vid drivers...stay tuned.
m
l
April 6, 2011 3:15:49 AM

check your vrm temps in gpu-z sensors.
also run gpu-z in the background using its logging.
let it crash and then look at the logs on reboot.
m
l
April 6, 2011 1:01:58 PM

Thats what i did, the full log is in the link in my second post. Haven't tested out the driver method extensively yet.
m
l
April 6, 2011 11:17:27 PM

That seems to have worked out so far, I had to uninstall the video card driver, and remove all traces of it in safe mode with Driver Cleaner Pro and then reinstall after a reboot. Thanks for the help.
m
l
April 6, 2011 11:26:33 PM

Even Tho this might not be it, you might want to clean the dust off of the fans.
m
l
April 7, 2011 1:09:04 AM

Unfortunately that just made me able to play a little longer...too optimistic :(  I will clean out the case but don't know how much that will help i just cleaned it a couple weeks ago . I guess i'll hav too keep looking :/ 
m
l
April 7, 2011 1:15:01 AM

It seems like other background activities were still going (not a full crash) because when I was making a DVD, it finished the process. I'm wondering, would/could it be my GPU dying??
m
l
April 14, 2011 6:01:53 PM

It might have helped some, but I keep running into crashes :pfff: 
m
l
!