Linux for MythTV with this Hardware

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Well, I've finally decided to take the plunge and build my first Linux box (I've been toying with the idea for far too long!). The project is basically a HTPC utilising some components I have lying around and some new components that I'm buying. The hardware is as follows:

Already have:
mobo - Gigabyte Titan (x8agp, 800FSB)
cpu - P4 2.0(A)
hsf - stock intel
memory - DDR400 2* 512mb
hard drives - 2*120gb WD Caviar, 1* 72gb WD Raptor

To purchase:
£85: Case: Silverstone LC03 (Silver)
£12: PSU: 400w Scan 3XS Silent Fan
£33: Gfx: Asus FX5200
£62: TV: Hauppage Nova T
£09: Card reader: Scan 19 in 1
£12: Soundcard: Terratec 5.1

I still don't know which distro I'm gonna go with (feel free to make suggestions) but just wanted some opinions on the hardware selection for Linux in general; see anyhting that could easily be replaced with something more appropriate / efficient / powerful for about the same price? Anything that could cause problems?

Also, I'm under the impression that the best file system for this project would be JFS. So presumably that will limit my choice of distro?

Thanks for any input/suggestions you have, and be gentle, I'm a linux virgin!!!

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2765&st=0#entry21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
I would suggest Suse, Mandrake, or Fedora. As for your hardware it's best to look at the distros website referencing the HCL. On board ethernet, video, and sound cards can be a pain referencing linux. I have always found that linux does not interface well with onboard motherboard devices. Support may have gotten better in the last year considering that I have been using XP for graduate school and have not been usig linux. Corresponding to possible problems submitting files to professors. Of course the better the hardware will result in more speed referencing linux. Yout current hardware should work fine without the use of onboard devices.

You can download and burn the ISO for most distros except for Suse. Suse is probably the most polished distro referencing my opinion at this time.

http://www.linuxiso.org/

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bjpatrick on 02/24/05 08:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

CopperLion

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2005
SuSE actually has a LiveCD version available, as well as FTP install. The FTP install will get you everything in the retail box but the commercial (non-open source) software and the printed manuals. LiveCD is a good way to test the distro without installing anything to your drive.
Linux in general, and SuSE in particular are getting better about recognizing and configuring onboard devices. www.linuxiso.org is a good place to look for more info, and www.distrowatch.org is another. Both will link you to locations where you can download various distributions.

If ignorance is bliss, education will blow your mind.