Windows 7 (32 bit vs 64 bit)

Ali_37

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Hello,
I have a HP AMD Turion 2, currently has vista 32 bit processor. bought it in 2007. should i upgrade to 7, if yes which one 32 or 64 bit

cbviking

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

If that was my computer I would upgrade to Windows 7 ASAP. Windows 7 in my opinion performs far better than vista and is also very use to use. I could go on forever about how much better 7 is than vista but you need enough RAM to run it properly. The min requirements for 32-bit is 1 GB and 2 GB for 64-bit. I personally would run 32-bit without at least 2 GB and 3 GB for 64-bit. The 64-bit architecture is the future for computing even though it had a slow start. It's twice as fast than its 32-bit predecessor but it does require a little bit more RAM to use properly. If your computer has a 32-bit processor you are out of luck and you must use the 32-bit version. If your computer has a 64-bit processor I would recommend going with the 64-bit version of Windows provided you have enough RAM.

Microsoft has this nice little program to check and see if your computer can run Windows 7. It's called the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and you can download it here.

Hope this helps! Let us know what you choose :)