Verizon MP3 Motorola V710 Feed back

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
October 14, 2004 5:11:12 PM

I see verizon ads on tv for the Motorola v710 cell phone. Dose any one have
this phone? How do you like it? I was thinking of getting a phone that plays
MP3, PIX messaging, ect. and Is this phone Tri Mode? Is it good to get a Tri
Mode cell phone? I noticed that it dose not have National Access. Is it
good to get a phone that has National Access? Will I get more coverage with
National Access? Please give me some feed back on this phone. I have been to
Verizon wireless web site and looked at the specs of the phone, now I would
like user feed back. I currently have a LG 4400 phone. I like the style,
the features, the size of the phone, the lay out of the keys, and the size
of the screen, and the out side display. I would like to get a phone that
you can play MP3's, a phone that has a lot of features.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 6:18:51 PM

"Viper" <Viper0580@fuse.net> wrote in message
news:o qybd.500$Ag.427@fe37.usenetserver.com...
>I see verizon ads on tv for the Motorola v710 cell phone. Dose any one have
>this phone? How do you like it? I was thinking of getting a phone that
>plays MP3, PIX messaging, ect. and Is this phone Tri Mode? Is it good to
>get a Tri Mode cell phone? I noticed that it dose not have National Access.
>Is it good to get a phone that has National Access? Will I get more
>coverage with National Access? Please give me some feed back on this phone.
>I have been to Verizon wireless web site and looked at the specs of the
>phone, now I would like user feed back. I currently have a LG 4400 phone.
>I like the style, the features, the size of the phone, the lay out of the
>keys, and the size of the screen, and the out side display. I would like to
>get a phone that you can play MP3's, a phone that has a lot of features.

I have had a V710 since Labor day and it's by far the best cell phone that
I've ever had! The phone is tri-mode. It will play MP3 files but bear in
mind that the internal memory of the V710 is limited to 10 megabytes. It
works nicely to use MP3 files for ringtones that have been 'cut down' in
both sample rate and length of play (over 20-30 seconds is a real waste of
space for a ringone, and most of the time 10 seconds is plenty). I have made
several MP3 ringtones that are cut down like that and used them in both my
former LG-VX6000 and the V710. They work a little better on the V710 since
even if they are cut down in length, they will automatically repeat but on
the VX6000 they only played once.

What do you mean that the V710 doesn't have National Access? Isn't NA a
'plan' and not a 'feature' on a phone? My V710 is on the America's Choice
plan and it works very well!

By the way, I would consider using a cell phone as an 'MP3 player' would be
a waste. Much better to just use one of the very many MP3 players out there
that are dedicated to just that useage.

--
God Bless America!

Bob the Printer

Our web pages are located at:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bdolson/

Now with a picture link to the webcam near
Mount St. Helens volcano!

Or you can click on the link below to go to the
the Mt. St. Helens page.
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

Please note that if it's nighttime there you
will see nothing but 'hash' in the picture.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 6:18:52 PM

Bob the Printer wrote:

> What do you mean that the V710 doesn't have National Access? Isn't NA
> a 'plan' and not a 'feature' on a phone? My V710 is on the America's
> Choice plan and it works very well!

National Access is both a plan and/or a feature on a plan and
refers to 1xRTT packet data service. The phone must be 1xRTT
capable to utilize it.

-Quick
October 14, 2004 6:32:22 PM

I just picked one up again to try. I tried one in August and was
underwhelmed. The camera was crooked and you couldn't get the picture
straight unless you tilted the phone about 20 degrees to the right while
taking the picture. The handset volume was VERY low too. That was probably
the biggest downside of the phone. I had some lockups and strange things
dealing with the phonebook on the original too. I took that one back after
only one day of hard usage. You know that the Bluetooth is crippled in the
phone right? Verizon had Motorola disable the OBEX protocol so you can not
transfer files using Bluetooth at this time...rumor is that a new firmware
version is going to restore some of the normal Bluetooth functions, but time
will tell. Verizon is just plain greedy and wants to force you to use their
services to send photos etc.

The one I got this week is a little better on the handset volume, but is
still too low. It is just too hard to hear the other person while in a
call. The faceplate scratches easily too, so keep that in mind...you may
want to get a case or some screen protectors for the front. The new phone
still has a crooked camera and may be even worse than the original one was.
That is more of an annoyance but still shouldn't happen in a device this
expensive. Picture quality is lacking too. But it is a phone first I
guess, but the LG VX7000's camera eats this one alive.

I did not buy any of the Bluetooth toys for this phone since I was unsure if
I would keep it. Glad I didn't since it is going back tonight. I think I
am going to go to LG for a phone with some good volume...the 7000 or the new
6100. I am leaning to the 6100 as I would like tri-mode. I find myself in
analog mode at least a half dozen times a day and like the idea of being
able to use the phone out in the boonies.

Bottom line is that the V710 is not too bad a phone if you overlook the
volume and Bluetooth issues. I had no problem with signal strength or
dropping calls and it does have analog which is a plus. It also uses the
standard Motorola chargers and CLA that has been around for years like the
V60 and T720 use, so if you have some of that stuff around you don't need to
buy new.

It is too bad they didn't get this phone right, I would have liked to keep
it since I like Motorola stuff.

"Viper" <Viper0580@fuse.net> wrote in message
news:o qybd.500$Ag.427@fe37.usenetserver.com...
> I see verizon ads on tv for the Motorola v710 cell phone. Dose any one
have
> this phone? How do you like it? I was thinking of getting a phone that
plays
> MP3, PIX messaging, ect. and Is this phone Tri Mode? Is it good to get a
Tri
> Mode cell phone? I noticed that it dose not have National Access. Is it
> good to get a phone that has National Access? Will I get more coverage
with
> National Access? Please give me some feed back on this phone. I have been
> Verizon wireless web site and looked at the specs of the phone, now I
would
> like user feed back. I currently have a LG 4400 phone. I like the style,
> the features, the size of the phone, the lay out of the keys, and the size
> of the screen, and the out side display. I would like to get a phone that
> you can play MP3's, a phone that has a lot of features.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 4:16:03 AM

> National Access is both a plan and/or a feature on a plan and
> refers to 1xRTT packet data service. The phone must be 1xRTT
> capable to utilize it.

Well in that case the V710 should support it, since it is 1xRTT capable
AFAIK..

--

!