Network File Transfer Software?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 25, 2004 3:45:59 PM

Hi.
As re a previous post, I need to transfer a large amount of data, about
15GB, across a wireless network from one of my pc's to the other. I have
just tried it using a simple copy and paste function through the shared
files path on my network. It is pretty slow, and then I got an error about
one of the files that wouldn't transfer, and the whole thing had to be
started again.

Are there any pretty handy tools for managing such file transfers, that
offer a little more adaptability and control than the simple cut'n'paste?
Thanks.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 4:39:33 PM

The Crow wrote:

> Hi.
> As re a previous post, I need to transfer a large amount of data, about
> 15GB, across a wireless network from one of my pc's to the other. I have
> just tried it using a simple copy and paste function through the shared
> files path on my network. It is pretty slow, and then I got an error about
> one of the files that wouldn't transfer, and the whole thing had to be
> started again.
>
> Are there any pretty handy tools for managing such file transfers, that
> offer a little more adaptability and control than the simple cut'n'paste?
> Thanks.

If you do this regularly, then you might try FileSync - lots of features,
and I used it regularly for a couple of years. But if this is a one-time
thing, then I'd just struggle with cut'n'paste until victory.

Don't expect other apps to score better than cut'n'paste for transfer
rate. WiFi is slow, and the file-copy STR is much slower than the
advertised peak (11 Mb/s or 54 Mb/s) bit rate.
--
Cheers, Bob
Anonymous

"Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p glpd.144089$HA.42526@attbi_s01...
> The Crow wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> As re a previous post, I need to transfer a large amount of data, about
>> 15GB, across a wireless network from one of my pc's to the other. I have
>> just tried it using a simple copy and paste function through the shared
>> files path on my network. It is pretty slow, and then I got an error
>> about one of the files that wouldn't transfer, and the whole thing had to
>> be started again.
>>
>> Are there any pretty handy tools for managing such file transfers, that
>> offer a little more adaptability and control than the simple cut'n'paste?
>> Thanks.
>
> If you do this regularly, then you might try FileSync - lots of features,
> and I used it regularly for a couple of years. But if this is a one-time
> thing, then I'd just struggle with cut'n'paste until victory.
>
> Don't expect other apps to score better than cut'n'paste for transfer
> rate. WiFi is slow, and the file-copy STR is much slower than the
> advertised peak (11 Mb/s or 54 Mb/s) bit rate.
> --
> Cheers, Bob

That explains a lot. I had expected my chunk to be done in a couple of
hours. It's about fifteen percent of the way through, and we've been going
over an hour. I'll stick with it though, if my transfer rate is not
unnaturally low. I wish there was a transfer rate stat on the dialogue box
though. Thanks again.
November 26, 2004 5:37:27 PM

Best bet is FTP as it is made for file copy machine to machine at
distance. Cleaner protocol than windoz xcopy/copy/drag-n-drop as once
it gets started, you don't have netbios calls when windoz can't find itself.

!