Sign in with
Your question

Can you use a memory sitck for playing WoW?

Last response: in Video Games
April 6, 2011 1:11:09 AM

I'm trying to find an inexpensive way to boost my RAM on my 4 year old desktop computer to play WoW again. I stopped playing due to major lag and my computer crashed twice. I had a friend talk to a Tech guy and he said to use a memory stick instead of a card. Can you even do that? And what kind is the best? Here's some info on my comp:
Emachines T5048(DDR) Desktop/PC
Graphics Support: PCI Express x16
Maximum Memory: 2048MB
Slots: 2(2 Banks of 1)
Standard Memory: 512MB removeable
USB Support: 2.X Compliant

someone please help! I really would like to play again and need a cheap way of playing on at least the basic graphics. I dont care about quality. Just performance. Thank you
April 6, 2011 3:44:09 AM

If you only have 512mb of ram in your machine why not up it to the maximum? It would help out a bit and might not be that expensive given the type of ram it is.

Also what kind of video card do you have in your system? If you have no video card installed and re just using the built in video on the motherboard then this is another area where you can focus on upgrading and get a more enjoyable experiance out of WoW.
m
l
April 6, 2011 7:06:00 AM

You have a PCI-Express slot so I would definately upgrade your video card first. Make sure your power supply can handle it. I currently have a Radeon HD 4350 low end card but i can play on high settings with about 40 FPS so its decent and i paid about 60$ for it at Best Buy. Upgrading the ram you have is a must. With the new expansion you need a even better graphics card as they have updated there engine. Also you need a Min. 1Gb Ram to play wow so you definately need at least 2Gb in your comp. I would go with 4 myself.

heres the min. requirements...

The minimum system requirements for World of Warcraft are:

Windows XP 32bit (SP3), Windows XP 64bit (SP2), Windows Vista 32bit (SP1), Windows Vista 64bit (SP1):

Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500
1GB or more of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX or ATI Radeon 9500 video card or better
DirectX-compatible sound card or motherboard sound capability
25 GB free hard drive space
A keyboard and mouse are required. Input devices other than a mouse and keyboard are not supported.
You must have an active broadband Internet connection to play
m
l
!