Family Share rip-off

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
October 14, 2004 11:10:53 PM

Just a heads up. I am in a battle with verizon right now over text
messaging. I signed up for a family share plane that includes 800
minutes and 500 text messages. I have not noticed until today, I
received a $20+ usage charge for text messages on the second phone.
Looking back three months I see they charged me every month for each
text message on the second phone.

I called them up and they informed me that the 500 messages is not
shareable between the two phones. So much for the "Family Share Plan".
They were so kind to offer me a credit for the current month
considering I pay another $4.00(200 messages) for the second line.

I am so angry that I am being punked by a company that plays games
with their customers. I am locked in for another 18 months with these
crooks. I am ready to walk out on this company and take the $150.00
early termination considering they are hitting me up for $120.00/month
anyway.

Anyone have any numbers or emails of representatives at this company
that are interested in keeping their customers?

More about : family share rip

October 15, 2004 1:08:35 AM

Anytime anyone "gives" me anything, I look
carefully at the gift-horse. I can understand how
one could be had, and if one can be had thaen
one probably will be had. Cellphone carriers
are in it for the money of course and one has
to watch his tail..Regards
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 6:26:29 AM

Did you bother to read about what you purchased? Their promotional
literature and the detailed customer agreement is pretty clear
about the text messaging charges. By the way, the early
termination fee is $175, not $150.

slamhead@hotmail.com (Chris) wrote in

> Just a heads up. I am in a battle with verizon right now over
text
> messaging. I signed up for a family share plane that includes 800
> minutes and 500 text messages. I have not noticed until today, I
> received a $20+ usage charge for text messages on the second
phone.
> Looking back three months I see they charged me every month for
each
> text message on the second phone.
>
> I called them up and they informed me that the 500 messages is
not
> shareable between the two phones. So much for the "Family Share
Plan".
> They were so kind to offer me a credit for the current month
> considering I pay another $4.00(200 messages) for the second
line.

> I am so angry that I am being punked by a company that plays
games
> with their customers. I am locked in for another 18 months with
these
> crooks. I am ready to walk out on this company and take the
$150.00
> early termination considering they are hitting me up for
$120.00/month
> anyway.
>
> Anyone have any numbers or emails of representatives at this
company
> that are interested in keeping their customers?

Related resources
October 15, 2004 6:42:04 AM

I have Family Share and each line needs its own text messaging plan.

A text messaging feature is considered an 'optional feature' and is per
line, not per plan.

"Chris" <slamhead@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just a heads up. I am in a battle with verizon right now over text
> messaging. I signed up for a family share plane that includes 800
> minutes and 500 text messages. I have not noticed until today, I
> received a $20+ usage charge for text messages on the second phone.
> Looking back three months I see they charged me every month for each
> text message on the second phone.
>
> I called them up and they informed me that the 500 messages is not
> shareable between the two phones. So much for the "Family Share Plan".
> They were so kind to offer me a credit for the current month
> considering I pay another $4.00(200 messages) for the second line.
>
> I am so angry that I am being punked by a company that plays games
> with their customers. I am locked in for another 18 months with these
> crooks. I am ready to walk out on this company and take the $150.00
> early termination considering they are hitting me up for $120.00/month
> anyway.
>
> Anyone have any numbers or emails of representatives at this company
> that are interested in keeping their customers?
October 15, 2004 12:20:05 PM

"Chris" <slamhead@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just a heads up. I am in a battle with verizon right now over text
> messaging. I signed up for a family share plane that includes 800
> minutes and 500 text messages. I have not noticed until today, I
> received a $20+ usage charge for text messages on the second phone.
> Looking back three months I see they charged me every month for each
> text message on the second phone.
>
> I called them up and they informed me that the 500 messages is not
> shareable between the two phones. So much for the "Family Share Plan".
> They were so kind to offer me a credit for the current month
> considering I pay another $4.00(200 messages) for the second line.
>
> I am so angry that I am being punked by a company that plays games
> with their customers. I am locked in for another 18 months with these
> crooks. I am ready to walk out on this company and take the $150.00
> early termination considering they are hitting me up for $120.00/month
> anyway.

Why do you think they "play games" or are "crooks" when you assumed
something when the actual policy is clearly spelled out in the literature?

> Anyone have any numbers or emails of representatives at this company
> that are interested in keeping their customers?
October 15, 2004 3:19:56 PM

Mitchell Regenbogen <mreg@panix.spam.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9582E4456250Fmregpanixcom@166.84.1.70>...
> Did you bother to read about what you purchased? Their promotional
> literature and the detailed customer agreement is pretty clear
> about the text messaging charges. By the way, the early
> termination fee is $175, not $150.

What I did bother to do is specifically ask the person that setup my
account that everything would be shared between both lines. Tell them
what they want to hear and let the billing sort it all out.

When I setup my plan they knew I wanted no possibility of additional
charges outside my monthly ($95.00/month)plan considering I did not
exceed what I paid for. They offered to credit my account for the
current month considering I would pay another $5 to add text messaging
to the second line. I ended up having to drop the 500 messages and
change line one to 100 and add 250 messages to line two for the same
$8. Since I was not paying additional money they did not want to
credit my account.

So for the same monthly price I lose 150 text messages and 80 picture
messages. Where is the customer satisfaction in that. I would think
they would be interested in keeping their customers after contract
expiration.

Tis my rant
October 15, 2004 3:21:09 PM

Thanks Sigmun..
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 4:00:42 PM

Sentinel wrote:
> I disagree. Yes, the information is in the literature if you sift
> through it but they infer that it is included which is wrong.

No, they don't infer that. You infer that. They are pretty clear
on that stuff. Here is another one. Primary line gets 1000 M2M
minutes. Secondary lines get 250 M2M. Remember that one?
How about the add-on insurance? If you get the $4.99 insurance
on your phone do you assume that applies to all the phones? It's
a SHARE plan after all.

> Come on guys. This is common marketing hype. Get a customer to think
> they are getting a lot while not actually crossing the line of telling
> them that they are not. If they ask then admit that yes, it is extra.
> But if they don't ask then hide it in the literature and don't tell
> them a thing until after the sign up and get their first bill. By then
> it will be too late and we will have them. I learned this in marketing
> class. It's like a car ad. 2005 car for an unbelieveable price. And it
> is unbelievable, because it is not true. All they have to do is one on
> the lot for that price and the ad is not a lie.

Was this "marketing class" given by the local used car lot to it's
sales people? They have laws now for the price thing... they have
to clearly state limited quantity or how many they have at that price.

> Now the fact that you are gullable enough to believe it does not make
> it right. Fact is they tell you something and leave the rest out which
> infers that the second line gets everything the first line gets too by
> saying "you get xyz included and you can add a second line". Any
> thinking person would assume that means you get xyz and you can ad a
> second line which also gets xyz since there is no reason to think that
> second line would be any different from the first line. Especially
> when the second line does have many of the features that the first
> line has. If so then why would you think that the second line would
> not have all of the features that the first line has.

Maybe because that is an industry standard? Convention? Can you name
any that are not that way?

> It is just deceptive thats all. They should tell you upfront that they
> second line does not share all the features the first line has and if
> you want to add them that is extra. Any average person would assume
> that the second line is the same as the first and that is what they
> are counting on. That's why they called it a "share" plan as opposed
> to an "add a line" plan. The name was carefully thought out buy the
> marketing guys.

So lets say that everything you say above is the case. Lets assume
that VZW is in it for the short term hook&crook.

What percentage of customers do you think are taken in by this?
What percentage of customers do you think don't notice it on their
first month's bill?
What do you think the CS costs are for the followup explanations?
What do you think the cost is in customer relations/loss?

Do you think they make enough in the short term to cover the above?

You may be right but I don't think so. I've never had a problem.
Maybe that's because I read stuff like this forum and ask for particulars
when signing up for something like a year or two commitment. When
ever I've added features, changed plans, gone for promotions, I've
always done it over the phone. CS has always been very clear on
spelling out the obvious misconceptions. "Which line do you want
to add the txt messaging promo to?" "Would you like to add it to
the second line too?".... So they don't explicitly say "Oh, I see this
line is on a family share plan. You do realize that the option not
applied to all lines and is not shared?". They don't tell me that I'm
not going to get a free car with the promo either.

Maybe the stores are different.

-Quick
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:04:45 AM

> Mitchell Regenbogen <mreg@panix.spam.com> wrote in message
> > Did you bother to read about what you purchased? Their promotional
> > literature and the detailed customer agreement is pretty clear
> > about the text messaging charges. By the way, the early
> > termination fee is $175, not $150.
> >

> What I did bother to do is specifically ask the person that setup my
> account that everything would be shared between both lines. Tell them
> what they want to hear and let the billing sort it all out.

My girlfriend did the same thing: Asked a person. In her instance, it was a
Radio Shack person. Wasn't about text messaging, but some other thing that
ended up costing her lots of money. The person was either misinformed or
lying to make the sale.

Read the contract.
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:06:27 AM

"Chris" <slamhead@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just a heads up. I am in a battle with verizon right now over text
> messaging. I signed up for a family share plane that includes 800
> minutes and 500 text messages. I have not noticed until today, I
> received a $20+ usage charge for text messages on the second phone.
> Looking back three months I see they charged me every month for each
> text message on the second phone.
>
> I called them up and they informed me that the 500 messages is not
> shareable between the two phones. So much for the "Family Share Plan".
> They were so kind to offer me a credit for the current month
> considering I pay another $4.00(200 messages) for the second line.
>
> I am so angry that I am being punked by a company that plays games
> with their customers. I am locked in for another 18 months with these
> crooks. I am ready to walk out on this company and take the $150.00
> early termination considering they are hitting me up for $120.00/month
> anyway.
>
> Anyone have any numbers or emails of representatives at this company
> that are interested in keeping their customers?

I know text messages are cool sometimes, but why not just call and leave a
message on voice mail?
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:07:49 AM

"George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> "Chris" <slamhead@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Just a heads up. I am in a battle with verizon right now over text
> > messaging. I signed up for a family share plane that includes 800
> > minutes and 500 text messages. I have not noticed until today, I
> > received a $20+ usage charge for text messages on the second phone.
> > Looking back three months I see they charged me every month for each
> > text message on the second phone.
> >
> > I called them up and they informed me that the 500 messages is not
> > shareable between the two phones. So much for the "Family Share Plan".
> > They were so kind to offer me a credit for the current month
> > considering I pay another $4.00(200 messages) for the second line.
> >
> > I am so angry that I am being punked by a company that plays games
> > with their customers. I am locked in for another 18 months with these
> > crooks. I am ready to walk out on this company and take the $150.00
> > early termination considering they are hitting me up for $120.00/month
> > anyway.
>
> Why do you think they "play games" or are "crooks" when you assumed
> something when the actual policy is clearly spelled out in the literature?

The only part of the deal that you could consider crooked is that they are
content to hire a fair number of salespeople who are too dumb to understand
the contracts themselves.
October 16, 2004 12:32:29 AM

> I know text messages are cool sometimes, but why not just call and leave a
> message on voice mail?

Because voice mail is not considered "in network" calls and eat up
your total minutes. That was another gotcha I paid for. Someone that
is in network calls you and you let it go to voicemail. You call your
voicemail and retrieve the message and get hit for minutes used. You
are better off not letting an in network call go to voice mail.

It makes sense to charge for voicemail retrieval if the message was
left by someone outside verizon. I would rather get hit for minutes
retrieving my email. Some of my customers are long winded.
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 5:34:24 AM

Perhaps in the future you will read the details of a plan before you 'go for
it'!
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 5:38:19 AM

"Chris" <slamhead@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> What I did bother to do is specifically ask the person that setup my
> account that everything would be shared between both lines. Tell them
> what they want to hear and let the billing sort it all out.

Taking the word of a CSR on what a plan covers is no substitute for actually
reading the agreement.
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 6:27:05 AM

In article <p6Wbd.9440$AA1.233@news02.roc.ny>,
"Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Why do you think they "play games" or are "crooks" when you assumed
> > something when the actual policy is clearly spelled out in the literature?

But he *didn't* "assume" this was the case... He asked a CSR (which is
NEVER a good idea where VZW is concerned.)

> > "Chris" <slamhead@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What I did bother to do is specifically ask the person that setup my
> account that everything would be shared between both lines.

"Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The only part of the deal that you could consider crooked is that they are
> content to hire a fair number of salespeople who are too dumb to understand
> the contracts themselves.

Got *that* right, though... :-)

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."

I apologize for screwing up the attribution on my latst post.

I noticed the error 2 seconds after I hit "SEND"...

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 4:08:38 PM

> > I know text messages are cool sometimes, but why not just call and leave
> > message on voice mail?
>
> Because voice mail is not considered "in network" calls and eat up
> your total minutes. That was another gotcha I paid for. Someone that
> is in network calls you and you let it go to voicemail. You call your
> voicemail and retrieve the message and get hit for minutes used. You
> are better off not letting an in network call go to voice mail.
>
> It makes sense to charge for voicemail retrieval if the message was
> left by someone outside verizon. I would rather get hit for minutes
> retrieving my email. Some of my customers are long winded.

I was about to say something, but you used the word "customers", meaning you
use the phone for business.

Observing some of my teen son's friends, I'm horrified at how often their
cell phones ring. Based on the conversations, there's nothing of consequence
being discussed, so I wonder when they'll realize that they'd be happier
without these silly, chirping lumps hanging on their belts. Doesn't anyone
do just one thing at a time any more?
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 7:26:05 AM

Mitchell Regenbogen <mreg@panix.spam.com> spewed:
> Did you bother to read about what you purchased? Their promotional
> literature and the detailed customer agreement is pretty clear
> about the text messaging charges. By the way, the early
> termination fee is $175, not $150.

Well said.

--
The Toe Pages:
http://www.rubbertoe.com

"Chris" <slamhead@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Some of my customers are long winded.

So you are using a 'family' share plan for business purposes?? That's rather
unethical in my opinion! I mean, if you're using the phone for 'business'
then most if not all of the expense is a deductible business expense isn't
it? Or are you a drug dealer type of business?
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 8:34:59 PM

text mesaaging is required for each phone that uses it. If you had
asked I am sure the salesperson would have told you this. The contract
should also show which phone it is on as well.

On 14 Oct 2004 19:10:53 -0700, slamhead@hotmail.com (Chris) wrote:

>Just a heads up. I am in a battle with verizon right now over text
>messaging. I signed up for a family share plane that includes 800
>minutes and 500 text messages. I have not noticed until today, I
>received a $20+ usage charge for text messages on the second phone.
>Looking back three months I see they charged me every month for each
>text message on the second phone.
>
>I called them up and they informed me that the 500 messages is not
>shareable between the two phones. So much for the "Family Share Plan".
>They were so kind to offer me a credit for the current month
>considering I pay another $4.00(200 messages) for the second line.
>
>I am so angry that I am being punked by a company that plays games
>with their customers. I am locked in for another 18 months with these
>crooks. I am ready to walk out on this company and take the $150.00
>early termination considering they are hitting me up for $120.00/month
>anyway.
>
>Anyone have any numbers or emails of representatives at this company
>that are interested in keeping their customers?
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 11:40:39 PM

In article <loednTFEVOgXU-7cRVn-rw@comcast.com>,
Bob the Printer <bdolson@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Chris" <slamhead@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Some of my customers are long winded.
>
>So you are using a 'family' share plan for business purposes?? That's rather
>unethical in my opinion! I mean, if you're using the phone for 'business'
>then most if not all of the expense is a deductible business expense isn't
>it? Or are you a drug dealer type of business?

Why would it be unethical? AFAIK, there is nothing in the contract for
the ordinary plans which says that it shouldn't be used for business
use. Generally, the business plans are there to provide discounts on
accounts with many lines and related services, but if you are a small
business with only a couple of phones, why not use the ordinary plans?

What does it being a deductible expense have to do with anything? If
one can deduct an expense, it just means that you can recover *part* of
the expense, depending on your tax rate.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 12:41:06 AM

If you are deducting the cost of your family's portion of the bill, then it
is unethical as far as paying the tax you owe to the feds and state. You are
getting a business tax break for something that is not a business item (the
family portion of your plan). This is precisely why my wife has her own
account and I have mine that I use for business.

Gregg

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <loednTFEVOgXU-7cRVn-rw@comcast.com>,
> Bob the Printer <bdolson@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>"Chris" <slamhead@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Some of my customers are long winded.
>>
>>So you are using a 'family' share plan for business purposes?? That's
>>rather
>>unethical in my opinion! I mean, if you're using the phone for 'business'
>>then most if not all of the expense is a deductible business expense isn't
>>it? Or are you a drug dealer type of business?
>
> Why would it be unethical? AFAIK, there is nothing in the contract for
> the ordinary plans which says that it shouldn't be used for business
> use. Generally, the business plans are there to provide discounts on
> accounts with many lines and related services, but if you are a small
> business with only a couple of phones, why not use the ordinary plans?
>
> What does it being a deductible expense have to do with anything? If
> one can deduct an expense, it just means that you can recover *part* of
> the expense, depending on your tax rate.

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 9:42:26 PM

In article <C3Add.19338$jo2.10193@twister.socal.rr.com>,
Gregg Hill <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote:
>If you are deducting the cost of your family's portion of the bill, then it
>is unethical as far as paying the tax you owe to the feds and state. You are
>getting a business tax break for something that is not a business item (the
>family portion of your plan). This is precisely why my wife has her own
>account and I have mine that I use for business.
>
>Gregg
>
>"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
>> In article <loednTFEVOgXU-7cRVn-rw@comcast.com>,
>> Bob the Printer <bdolson@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>"Chris" <slamhead@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>So you are using a 'family' share plan for business purposes?? That's
>>>rather
>>>unethical in my opinion! I mean, if you're using the phone for 'business'
>>>then most if not all of the expense is a deductible business expense isn't
>>>it? Or are you a drug dealer type of business?
>>
>> Why would it be unethical? AFAIK, there is nothing in the contract for
>> the ordinary plans which says that it shouldn't be used for business
>> use. Generally, the business plans are there to provide discounts on
>> accounts with many lines and related services, but if you are a small
>> business with only a couple of phones, why not use the ordinary plans?
>>
>> What does it being a deductible expense have to do with anything? If
>> one can deduct an expense, it just means that you can recover *part* of
>> the expense, depending on your tax rate.

I think we are using the term "family share" in two different ways. VZW
has plans named "family share" which can be used purely for business.
This is different than a plan (whatever its name) used for both business
and personal use among family members. I agree that deducting personal
use as if it were a business expense is improper.
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 1:53:39 PM

CharlesH wrote:

> I think we are using the term "family share" in two different ways. VZW
> has plans named "family share" which can be used purely for business.
> This is different than a plan (whatever its name) used for both business
> and personal use among family members. I agree that deducting personal
> use as if it were a business expense is improper.

And will get you audited and spanked hard by the IRS and your state's tax
collection agency...

October 25, 2004 11:13:36 AM

On 14 Oct 2004 19:10:53 -0700, slamhead@hotmail.com (Chris) wrote:

>Just a heads up. I am in a battle with verizon right now over text
>messaging. I signed up for a family share plane that includes 800
>minutes and 500 text messages. I have not noticed until today, I
>received a $20+ usage charge for text messages on the second phone.
>Looking back three months I see they charged me every month for each
>text message on the second phone.
>
>I called them up and they informed me that the 500 messages is not
>shareable between the two phones. So much for the "Family Share Plan".
>They were so kind to offer me a credit for the current month
>considering I pay another $4.00(200 messages) for the second line.
>
>I am so angry that I am being punked by a company that plays games
>with their customers. I am locked in for another 18 months with these
>crooks. I am ready to walk out on this company and take the $150.00
>early termination considering they are hitting me up for $120.00/month
>anyway.
>
>Anyone have any numbers or emails of representatives at this company
>that are interested in keeping their customers?

Shoulda bought a Cingular plan.

You wont regret it!
!