Athlon 900 mhz (200mhz fsb) WITHOUT Overclocking

prsobel

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
My question, to which I've gotten too many varying answers from stores, is simply whether using an Athlon 900 mhz (200mhz fsb) and PC133 memory there will be any performance benefit in having a motherboard with a 266 FSB (K7T Turbo) as opposed to a 200 FSB (K7T Pro 2-A).

I'd greatly appreciate reasoned responses so that I may learn something rather than merely getting an answer.

Thanks in advance to any and all who take the time to help out.

G

i just went thru the same decision process and elected the turbo..it (turbo) should give me an extra upgrade path (266 fsb) in the future. one crevat, u will probably need to flash the bios from all i've read.. my new board and 900 tbird will arrive tonight.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you will certainly benefit from the extra memory bandwidth, ut if you go for the rated Athlon speed, you will not be able to use the 133 MHz capability of your motherboard. but if you do have it, go ahead and use it, you can reduce your cpu multiplier to 7 (instead of 9) to get it run at 933, that to at FSB of 133 MHz! and you may not need to change anything, even the heat sink!

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>