Dual Socket A Motherboards

Nevynn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
I'm gearing up to build a new system for games, and I would like to build a dual processor machine. I'm fairly set on using 1GHz T-bird chips, but I can't find any definitive information on when a dual AMD mobo will be released. I have unsubstantiated reports that Tyan and Gigabyte are both working on such a beast, but I find no evidence on their webpages. Any info?

Nev

Though the monkey dresses in silk, it remains a monkey.

G

Tyan is but don't know about Gigabyte. What I do know is that having dual system for games is completly pointless. Also, AMD says that tbirds and durons _may_ work with dual mobo's but they don't say it will for sure because they aren't sure about the temps todays athlons put out. The "next gen" athlons will run much cooler.

Again, I can only think of quake3 that uses dual processors and I know that you get nearly no boost at that. Windows 98/ME do not support dual processors either so no boost there. That means you have to use win2k which means a huge performance loss in direct3d unless you have a kyroII, which has 0%-4% performance loss in win2k. Nvidia and Ati both suffer very badly in win2k. I also don't see games supporting duals because win98/ME doesn't and that is the majority of users out there.

Software needs to be made from the ground up with dual processors in mind or performance isn't gained by much. If they are built from the ground up for dual processors then they suffer badly with single processors.

Basically go with single processor.

G

I think winME has dual processor support.... but i agree with m_kelder here, "don't go there, sister".

"Bit, Byte, Kilobyte, Megabyte, Gigabyte, Terrabyte, Petabyte, Exabyte, Zettabyte, Yottabyte..."

As far as I know, Pentium dual systems are only good for games under WIN 2000. Win 98SE is best for gaming. Win ME isn't very popular.

I have no idea about AMD duals, so go figure.

I reckon a single processor (1GHz+) should be good enough, as long as you have a substantial amount of RAM (256Mb+).

Oh! and get a good graphics card too.

<b>
Heatsinks, fans & whisky...Everythings Cool! :wink:
</b>

Nevynn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
Thanks to all for the info. I should have included in the first post that I also wish to use the machine for a webserver/fileserver/gameserver. This is more for fun and educational purposes than practicality. I've got more money than room, so one or two machines are going to have to do it all. I figured why not just build one huge power sucking, fire-breathing machine that can handle it all? So here's what I'm contemplating:

Dual 1GHz (preferably AMD)
Abit mainboard (if they accomodate my dual cpu needs)
256MB to 1.5GB RAM (jury is still out on DDR vs SDRAM)
2 Quantum Fireball 40GB 7200rpm in RAID 0 (to be upgraded to 4 in RAID 0+1)
ATi Radeon 64MB video card
SB Live Value sound
Case and power supply TBD at a later date

So how's it look? The components so far come in just over US$1300 for the startup system. If anyone has info on compatibility issues, etc. I'd love to hear them. As far as operating systems, I'm torn between the software support for Win2k and the stability, security, speed, etc. of Linux. So let's hear what ya think.

Nev

Though the monkey dresses in silk, it remains a monkey.