can you . . . . . . ?

Can you pay the $175 fee to buy out of your contract but continue on
as a customer?

forked wrote:
> Can you pay the $175 fee to buy out of your contract but continue on
> as a customer?

Why would you want to pay all that money if you're not cancelling?

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:30:19 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>forked wrote:
>> Can you pay the $175 fee to buy out of your contract but continue on
>> as a customer?
>
>Why would you want to pay all that money if you're not cancelling?

I thought it would be cheaper to do this but now that I looked with my
eyes open this time it comes out to the same price. I am eligible for
a phone upgrade for over a year and a half, so the dumb in me figured
if I could cancel the contract then I would be eligible to get the
phone I want at the discount price for signing a new contract.

After actually crunching the numbers it comes out to the same price as
if I paid full retail for the phone and keep the contract I have.

The Moto v710 is $399 full retain and after rebate the discount price
is $249. So if I add the 175 to the 249 its actually more than the
retain price.

Dumb thought I had. The v710 will be a dinosaur anyway by the time I
can upgrade my phone. Just have the urge for it.

Did I explain my idiotic thought okay? lol

forked wrote:

> The Moto v710 is $399 full retain and after rebate the discount price
> is $249. So if I add the 175 to the 249 its actually more than the
> retain price.

The whole point of the contract is that they lost money on the phone and *will*
make it up on the contract. What you discovered is set up like that purely by
design.

The way I read my contract it seems as though at any point you can
upgrade your phone for new customer price as long as you realize that
you have to sign up for a new 2 year contract. I will find the exact
paragraph if you like?

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:52:26 -0400, Sentinel <none@none.com> wrote:

>The way I read my contract it seems as though at any point you can
>upgrade your phone for new customer price as long as you realize that
>you have to sign up for a new 2 year contract. I will find the exact
>paragraph if you like?

You can upgrade your phone whenever you like is true. But you pay the
full retail price for it unless you have not upgraded your phone
throughout the life of the contract.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:15:59 -0400, forked wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:52:26 -0400, Sentinel <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>>The way I read my contract it seems as though at any point you can
>>upgrade your phone for new customer price as long as you realize that
>>you have to sign up for a new 2 year contract. I will find the exact
>>paragraph if you like?
>>

>You can upgrade your phone whenever you like is true. But you pay the
>full retail price for it unless you have not upgraded your phone
>throughout the life of the contract.

No, that is not correct. Under the "New Every Two" contract it states:

"You must retain the same wireless handset for 24 months in order to
receive the full advantages of this program. If you choose to replace
your handset at a discounted price prior to completing 24 months of
enrollment in the program, you will forfeit your benefits and be
automatically reenrolled in the program".

I specifically asked a customer service manager at a Verizon store
what this meant and said that if you decide before your 24 months is
up that you want to upgrade your phone you can do so at a discounted
price. I asked specifically what that meant and he told me at the
discount price given to new cusotmers.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:36:31 -0400, Sentinel <none@none.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:15:59 -0400, forked wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:52:26 -0400, Sentinel <none@none.com> wrote:
>>
>>>The way I read my contract it seems as though at any point you can
>>>upgrade your phone for new customer price as long as you realize that
>>>you have to sign up for a new 2 year contract. I will find the exact
>>>paragraph if you like?
>>>

>>You can upgrade your phone whenever you like is true. But you pay the
>>full retail price for it unless you have not upgraded your phone
>>throughout the life of the contract.
>>
>No, that is not correct. Under the "New Every Two" contract it states:
>
>"You must retain the same wireless handset for 24 months in order to
>receive the full advantages of this program. If you choose to replace
>your handset at a discounted price prior to completing 24 months of
>enrollment in the program, you will forfeit your benefits and be
>automatically reenrolled in the program".
>
>I specifically asked a customer service manager at a Verizon store
>what this meant and said that if you decide before your 24 months is
>up that you want to upgrade your phone you can do so at a discounted
>price. I asked specifically what that meant and he told me at the
>discount price given to new cusotmers.

Before I pursue this any further I am not sure that you know that I
upgraded my phone four months ago.

The gist of my original post was to try and figure out a way to get a
different new phone, now, way after the 15 day return policy, for a
discounted price.

Now that I said that, is it still true that I can do what you suggest
above?

That is the way it was explained to me and that is what is written
verbatim on the back of the service agreement flyer that came with my
package under "New Every Two". Now if they actually do it is another
story but check your documentation for that flyer and you will see
that paragraph. Then ask them about it and let me know. They told me
it was that but I have not tried it out yet as I have been happy with
my phone and have no desire to lengthen my contract any more then it
already is.