EPOX 8KTA3 Need help with many issues.

G

Hey all!
I just bought an Epox 8KTA3 motherboard with a Duron 700 (nice blue finish denoting copper interconnects! YEHAAA!).

However, I'm having many troubles and instead of tearing my hair out trying to solve them, I figured I'd go where any smart computer builder should go, Tom's Forum!

In windows I continually get a beeping from the mainboard and the diagnostics displays the number 19. Checking the manual this means "test 8259 functionality." Ok, what is this and how do I test it? I think it's the programmable interupt controller.

Also, the built in sound, a true sound blaster 8-bit. Stereo. Nothing fancy but it SHOULD suit my needs. Except that it is awefully quiet and I need to turn my sound up to max to get normal sound. ANother difficulty is that I get no sound in DOS based programs underneath the DOS prompt.

Is there anyway to boost the sound of the onboard audio? Is there an amplifier?
ALso, how can I solve this issue with the sound in the DOS prompt in windows? In pure DOS the sound works for the most part, but certain programs, like my SNES emulator, will fritz it up and other programs can't use it then.

Board should support 4X but BIOS will only let me select between 1 and 2X mode.

And one last tidbit, I can set the FSB and DRAM clock to 133MHz, is there anyway I can get the DRAM clock past that? I know the FSB can be raised, but it doesn't appeart to effect the DRAM timming.

Thanks all!
My deepest respects.

SPECS:
Duron 700
Creatie Labs RIVA TNT video card, PCI
ATA 33 4.3GB Western Digital Caviar Hard drive utilizing the ATA 100/66 cable. (Not sure if this affects anything, anybody know?)
3COM TC3509B Combo NIC Card, PCI
256MB PC100 SDRAM, 2 sticks, 128 on each, MUSHKIN, CAS2 Siemans chips. (Yes, I know it can't run at 133MHz, but I'm looking at upgrading soon, so I was wondering about the DRAM clock).
WIN98 SE
1.44 3 1/2 inch drive, 5 3/4 1.2 MB drive, 32X CD-ROM.
No overclocking for me yet, since I want the system stable before doing that.

The Jolly Wizened Oaf!

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First things first dont mean to burst your bubble but all durons are made with alluminum interconnects. Next for the test 8259 functionality go to the devise manager and check in there for that devise it should have a yellow (!) on it. Next the sound first check in the control pannel and sounds and multimedia proberties and the sounds tab then the volume box and make sure that the volume is turned up in there for dos sound you need to install the dos drivers for that sound chip. for agp 4x your video card only supports 2x so the bios will not give you a choice for 4x. and the fsb increase will increase the ram also.

SANDMAN