My socket 5 baby AT mobo ;)

G

i have an old socket five with a pentium 90 on it right now... i recently read the article about upgrading this to the k6-2 400 or 450... i'd like to know if anybody's had any experience with this yet... i think just the k-6 will be about 50 bux... i wasn't to clear on one thing in the article... and that was wether or not this motherboard would need the adapter.... i'm guessing it would huh? and if anybody's tried this tell me about it's overall performance... thanx

G

You could try one of the upgrade kits, but, in my experience I've seen that by the time you upgrade everything associated with it you'll still be bottlenecked by the slower memory, hard drive, CD ROM etc. Most of the cards in you're socket 5 are probably ISA, which means slow! (antiques). You're memory is probably 72 pin SIMMS, very expensive to upgrade. As much as three times as much money as the PC133 of the newer boards. Small hard drive, probably no larger than 1G. Windows 98 takes up almost one fourth of that.
You could build a new basic box with a DURON 600/700 for somewhere around $400.00

1.11G DURON air cooled!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why attempt such an upgrade? you will have older BIOS, probably not supporting hard drives > 8.4 GB, a lowly FSB of 66, at the most 83 MHz, slow hard drives (i dont think the board supports HD modes better than PIO 2/3), probably no support for modern DIMMS, thats slower memory.
and you will spend about 50 bucks on this...

better let it stay the way it is, get a new mobo for the almost same amount.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

G

I got an Epox MVP3-C2 motherboard with a K6-3+450 (3 actually). It's not worth trying anything less.
It's fantastic for old AT cases.

K6-3+450@550 2.0v
Epox MVP3-C2
Sweeeet!

G

Also 128megs of SDRAM but the lot shouldn't cost ya much.

K6-3+450@550 2.0v
Epox MVP3-C2
Sweeeet!

G

Cheapest worthwhile upgrade I can attest to for you would be as follows;

FIC VA503+ mother board, supports both 72 pin SIMMS and 168 pin DIMMS all the way to PC133, (worth saving for future upgrade). This board also supports both AT and ATX power supplies. It has 3 ISA slots, 3 PCI slots and 1 AGP slot.

AMD K6-2 500MHz CPU or K6III+450 with BIOS update no. "JE4330" (the K6+ CPU's were intended to be laptop processors, but are great desktop performers as well.) On the later K6 series of CPU's the 2X multiplier is recognized as 6X. I've built several K6III+450's @ 600MHz with no problem.

This setup would give you the opportunity to use as much of your present system as posible as well as give you a viable upgrade path that will let you transfer your new components to a newer system in the future.

.FIC VA503+............approx..$80.00
.K6-2500/K6III+450.............$50.00/75.00
.heatsink/fan..................$10.00

..............TOTAL............$140.00/$165.00

1.11G DURON air cooled!