Random Lockup

G

Hi there
My computer randomly locks up when it gets rebooted while sitting in the WIN98SE logon screen. The cursor will start to flash and then stop for a few seconds and then the machine will either lock up or start to flash again allowing me to log on. Here's what i have:
1GHz AMD Athlon thunderbird
Abit KT7 Raid
512M Crucial PC133 SDRAM CL-2
Voodoo 5 5500
PCI 10/100 ethernet card
Creative SB LIVE! Value
Diamond Fireport40
9.1 gig Seagate Baracuda SCSI dirve, SCSI zip, Ricoh SCSI CD burner, IDE DVD drive
US Robotics 56K Pro modem(non winmodem)

Place all complaints in this box -->[]

G

Hey, I've got the exact same problem. I've got an Abit KT7-raid. I usually just don't touch anything until it starts flashing again(it will either do this, reboot, or freeze with an unresponsive keyboard). Also it usually works if you wait about 30 seconds before rebooting after you turn it off. I am using a 250w power supply and am going to upgrade to a 300w when I get the money and see if it goes away.

May Fortune Favor The Foolish

G

I have a 300W PS but im a little shacky on the quality. The thing is though the PC functions perfectly for days if i don;t have to reboot for some reason so its hard for me to believe that at that instant and that instant only the PS is no good.

Place all complaints in this box -->[]

WAIT! I know what the problem IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Disable the onboard RAID controller and i will promis that it'll boot up! I have the same problem! It is a resource conflict between the RAID controller and something else. Probably the USB mouse if you have a USB mouse. Try changing it to a PS2 mouse too. Havn't tried it but it might work. I know that the RAID controller seems to conflict with the USB. Try it! disable the USB and enable the RAID controler and then boot. go back switch them, enable usb and disable raid and i bet it'll boot! but if you have both enabled at the same time it'll hang!

TRENDING THREADS