Kt7a-Raid with AMD 1ghz

G

I just replaced my celeron/BH-6 combination with Kt7a-Raid and an AMD 1ghz. This was a direct replacement of the motherboard. The only other hardware change was I took out the promise ultra board and use the ultra connector on the mb instead. (Still have the same drives, network adapter, sound blaster live and TNT2 16 meg graphics card)

I have found two issues that have me wondering...
- The system reports on the bios boot that it is running at 750mhz. If I go into the bios, it shows 1000. What should I believe? My other AMD (different mb) reports 1000.
- One of my favorites (Star Trek elite force) now locks up after just a couple of minutes of play. Since this is much more frequent with the cpu/mb combo, I have to believe a bios/cmos setting is responsible in some fashion. Any ideas?

Regards

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
1. Make sure you have an adequate power supply. You can check the AMD site for approved units. (I recommend the Enermax EG351P-VE for improved 3.3 Volt higher current capability, especially for all nVidia video cards).

2. Update the VIA 4-in-1 drivers to version 4.29v(a)

3. For TNT2 use drivers 5.xx. You can find Detonators <A HREF="http://www.gamers-ammo.com/nVidialist.html" target="_new">here</A>. (Note that the site is in the process of relocating). Reload DirectX after doing this.

4. When adding or changing hardware locate the <b>Reset Configuration Data</b> parameter in the PnP Configuration section and set it to <b>Enabled</b>. (In some versions of the BIOS the parmeter is labeled <b>Force Reset ESCD</b> or something like that).

5. As a last resort, update the BIOS. WZ, YH, and YP are OK. Avoid WW BIOS unless you have the RPM sensor lead on your CPU fan, otherwise the system will shutdown after 10 seconds. There is no overide in this BIOS. The other BIOS disable this "feature" by default.

<b>See my update to this post.</b>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 03/29/01 06:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

couldn't have said it better myself! lol! i say flash the bios to the latest update. that should fix it.. even if you have the latest, reflash it anyway. Also the drivers and.. well you covered it all lol.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<b>Update:</b>

Just discovered something nasty about the YH BIOS. If a fan isn't plugged into the CPU fan header the system will shut down in just <b>2 seconds</b>.

I tried plugging the sender lead (sender and ground) from my PSU into that header but that doesn't work. When I plugged a real fan (case fan w/ sender) into the header everything was fine.

I don't know if the header can just be shunted to overide this. It would be a nuisance without the fan w/ sender.

WZ BIOS does not have this problem. I <b>have not</b> tested the YP BIOS.

TRENDING THREADS