How to fix wrong BIOS upgrade ?

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
Hi,
I have no idea who is the manufacturer of motherboard. The manual says to upgrade BIOS go to vendor's website and no information on website or vendor. What does vendor mean? Is it processor maker AMD or mobo maker or retail store?
I downloaded the BIOS from gigabyte and flashed BIOS ROM because someone here recommended to do so.
When I restart PC, it says AMD K6-2 350Mhz and 128MB RAM and gives BEEP sound and says "Wrong CMOS settings. Press F1 to enter set up" When I hit F1 nothing shows up in screen.. :-(
Is there any way to recover this?

G

Find out your motherboard model

go to gigabyte and download that exact new bios
and flash it

i flash my gigabyte bios and i got the error
BAD CMOS CHECKSUM
turns out it was a-ok and it just means it knows something has been changed
i hit f2 to load defaults
f1 on mine goes into cmos
but if u can get into cmos load the bios and setup defaults
and u will be fine

if ur system is badly locked up

clear cmos on the board usually its a jumper but read ur manual on how do to it

just make sure that u have the correct bios

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it uses AMI bios, get the correct type, put it on a blank floppy, hold down control and home keys, and boot your computer-you will git 1 beep, the two beeps, then 3 beeps, without any display. 3 beeps indicate it has finnished.

Suicide is painless...........

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
the original was AWARD green BIOS on super7 ALIM1542 motherboard by unknown manufacturer. by someone's recommendation from here I flashed with Gigabyte BIOS and after that, PC shows AMI BIOS and CPU and RAM then it says wrong CMOS settings hit F1 to run setup but nothing works. I tried to clean BIOS by setting jumpers on mobo according to manual but nothing changed.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The good news is that if you can get your computer to the point that it can boot off floppy without any keyboard commands, you can write an Autoexec.bat string to force the bios update without input (I've had to do this before). The bad new is that it don't sound like it's going to happen. BTW you can identify 99.9% of motherboards and find their manufacturers through
http://sysopt.earthweb.com/mboard.html
If you don't know the original bios string you can use the "find" function of you browser to find motherboards with the same markings. You might actually have to order a BIOS chip from the manufacturer, if it is removable and you can identify the manufacturer.

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
Thank you very much for all your replies, but I the possible manufacturers's websites found by BIOS ID in AMI BIOS website are down. I guess they are out of business. But, I learned a lot from your replies and appreciate it.

By the way, are you promoting suicide? No suicide is painless because peaceful mind doesn't think of suicide. Suicide could be short, but who knows he goes through extreme pain which extends 1 sec to enternity. Besides, if you go to the hell, it will be worse definitely than living.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It comes from the M.A.S.H. movie theme song, and is meant to discourage the arogant and entertain movie fans.

Hey, I need a corrupted but working BIOS chip for one of my motherboards, since I have one with bad bios and it uses AMI, and you flashed AMI to yours, I think it might work for me even if it doesn't work for you. If your going to pitch the board anyway, could you send me the BIOS chip?

G

If any of your friends have the SAME mother board, there may be a way to fix it, but it still requires a good bios to flash it.

Take out your eprom (cmos) and put in your friend's, but very gently. Then boot from a floppy. Get into the bios and make sure system bios is cachable. If not, set it to cachable, save and then restart computer. When at the c: prompt, take out your friends eprom (cmos) and put in yours. Now flash yours with the correct bios. Restart, and your in business.

But, beware, if you're not comfortable with the procedure, then don't do it. I've managed to do this on a few boards and never had a failure, but you must be meticulous.

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
Sorry, that's my friend's pc that has BIOS problem. If mine I would send useless mobo to you. He has another same PC.

how do I flash BIOS? I have no BIOS flash program on diskette. The manufacturer seems to out of business.

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
hi,
sorry, that pc is not mine. I would send it to you if it's mine. By the way can you flash BIOS ROM from mobo because I don't have flash program on hdd or fd.

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
Hi,
I have an unused 32MB RAM for pc66 board, if you need I can send it to you. Gimme your address asap or you may have to wait longer Since I'm going to post office tommorrow probably. This is thanking for all your replies

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
Hi,
I have an unused 32MB RAM for pc66 board, if you need I can send it to you. Gimme your address asap or you may have to wait longer Since I'm going to post office tommorrow probably. This is thanking for all your replies