Where are the Duals for AMD or P4?!?

G

Hey everyone!
Ok so I'm building a 3D workstation that will be running Maya 3.0, 3DSMAXR3/4 and After Effects. I'm looking at getting a dual board with POWER! however I can't find a dual AMD board anywhere. Plus I read from a previous post that somebody mentioned that AMD doesn't recomend this because of temperature problems with its current chips. Does anyone know about this for sure? and if I REALLY can't go dual with T-Birds then I'll have to bite the bullet and go with Pentium 4 however I can't find a dual board for that either. Anyone know when that'll be released by anyone? I don't really want to go down to a P3 because I'd like to have the possibility to upgrade later.

This is going to be a home to a 3Dlabs GVX1 video card.

please let me know if you know anything about the matter. It would be deeply apreciated.

.phred.

Do what you love
Because you love it.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
There are none out for either the Athlon or P4. Northwood is supposed to have SMP chipsets, but that's due some time around September.

AMD just about has the 760MP chipset ready for release for T-birds. Currently Tyan is preparing a pre-production motherboard based on the 760MP, but it's a server board. Enormously expensive and carrying a lot of onboard stuff you probably won't use. Also lacks an AGP slot (although I believe the Oxygen cards do come in PCI). More "bare" 760MP mobos will probably be released at a lower price point though.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg</A>

G

thanks alot for the reply!
So looks like AMD isen't going to release its multiprocessor chipset anytime soon (or is it?). What I'm thinking I should do is get a single cpu workstation and when the 760MP board gets released, upgrade to the new board and slap on another chip. I can't really wait very long to get a new computer, a month max.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Letme.. my 2 cents..
I'd like to make this kind of trick also with buying a single processor board and later upgrade to dual-processor. But it never worked before and, I'm afraid, won't work this way later. Everything possible will be done by the manufacturers to make this upgrade at least cost inefficient. I think along with buyng a dual-processor board for AMD's, we'll get an opportunity to buy a 0.13-micron Thoroughbred.
Good to know that "dual-processing" would be beneficial to some more good software (Maya 3.0, 3DSMAXR3/4 and After Effects).