Finished with games in 2 or 3 days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

knk2009

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
I like shooter, action adventure and sci fi games for PC but usually play them alot and am done with them in 2 or 3 days.

Wondering if anyone has tips on getting the best value for games when only gonna play them for about 2 or 3 days... I like

single player games.

Any suggestions on how where to get games legitimately but cheap... not really into free downloads as they are ripping of the gaming company and usually do not work anyway.

Thanks.

Solution

One last thing, try and find mods for any of your games. For me they add 100+ hrs of replay for all of my games. They are free and some make the game even better than the original plain version. Some change the game play dramatically.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Explore the game world. Enjoy the graphics. For me, it's not about beating the game. It's about the experience. The gameplay, game atmosphere, in game physics, AI and facial animations.

Try RPGs if you want replayability.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Try Good Old Games (Gog [dot] com). Their titles are under $10 USD or less with no DRM (or the offending DRM has been removed).They acquire older titles from gaming companies and make them compatible (or try to) with Windows XP,Vista and 7.Some are pretty big hit titles too.

You can install their titles on as many PC's that you personally own and use.

Be somewhat cautious though as some of the titles might have some problems in some areas (read the community link section on each individual game to see if it has problems or if there is a fix before buying).Myself I've got some choice titles there but did make a few mistakes and got some that didn't quite work completely (although they work flawlessly in Windows 9X or DOS on my antique Rigs).
Generally the titles there that came out after XP was released have a much higher probability of working without problems but be cautious about the pre XP titles (although some of them have no problems at all working with XP,Vista,7).

I would recommend some RPGs as well especially those that have a large world to explore and lots of community create content to install. The best recent examples are Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. Oblivion is also pretty good as well if you want a fantasy world setting. There is a lot of replay value as well since you can choose to play an good or evil character. You can also continue to play those games even after the main story is over.

There are also some 3rd person RPGs are well, but the few games I've played were not in an "unlimited world". Example of recent games I've played are Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2. Older 3rd person RGPs I've played are Star Wars: KotOR 1 and 2 (Knights of the Old Republic). They offer replay value because of the different choices (good, evil, neutral) you can make. In Mass Effect, the ending is basically the same regardless if you are good or evil. In KotOR, there is a good and evil endings.

knk2009

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

Thanks for the info about this website... I see a lot of single player shooter games here for only $5 each :)

games like mass effect will take more than 8 hours game time offering some 40 hours plus, but often games of that length have no multiplayer...
but i would be pissed if i payed £40 and only got an 8 hour single player...

i do find that games like cod4 had a very exciting campaign that lasted 8 hours and seemed perfect, then i moved on to multiplayer and put over 800 hours on it over 3 years.

saying games should be sold for like £10 with no drm is 1 way to go i suppose but if the companies did that they would probably sell a few extra percent of games, but, still suffer huge copyright theft. as a general rule, if a pirate can get a game for nothing they will.
this was born out in the 80's and 90's when games cost 1.99-9.99 the vast majority of my games on my atari 8 bit and amiga were pirated. it wasn't till i started playing ps1 and ps2 i started to appreciate the hard work that went into games.
now im proud to say i dont own any pirated games. but i will use cracks if a game has stupid drm like assassins creed 2. (i was actually told off a ubi rep to use it when i couldnt sign in to the ubi servers because they were over subscribed, which i thought was ironic)...

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Yes. Mass Effect 1 and 2 would definitely eat up your time. If you want to try out older games then I would recommend Vampire the Masquerade Redemption and Bloodlines. Great story and atmosphere. Let me warn you that they are buggy games, but are still worth the time. Check out the community mods to fix most of the game bugs.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
One game (FPS) at Good Old Games you don't want to miss and that's Postal 2.
That game is absolutely hilarious.It comes with the weekend expansion pack too.
I have had no problems with it running under XP,Vista or 7 whether 32 bit or 64 bit.
Postal 1 is fun (albeit graphically crude) but has a problem with turning (It really only completely works under Windows 9.X).

guitarjanitor

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Play open-ended games where the goal is to make your own fun :D

Games like Minecraft can be played again and again... since the goal is exploration and creation, the only limit is your imagination.

Oh, and try games from Bethesda Softworks. They're usually open-world and have a lot of exploration and cool stories. Check out "The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind" or "The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion". These games are huge and immersive, and there is a lot of exploration, so they're nearly impossible to beat in a short amount of time (unless you already know what to do and you just burn through it :p).

Another game from Bethesda is "Fallout 3". It is a big, good-looking, open-world game that has action-shooting (first person), exploration, and RPG-style elements.

Games like these last a long time and are tremendously fun.

Oh, and going outside once in a while will make your games last exponentially longer :)

AntiCommie

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
I know a lot of people here are talking about the type of game, but for me if there is a big title coming up I want I will buy it at Amazon with their $20 future credits, and when I beat the game after 3-5 days I'll sell it on Glyde or back to Amazon. This is much easier to do on console, but with Craigslist and ebay I've done it with PC games too. I did this with Halo Reach, Medal of Honor, and Force unleashed 2 and between recycling the $20 coupon at Amazon (Each game gave me a new $20) I sold most of them on Glyde for a small profit (Reach cost me 41, and sold for 45. MOH was 41/42, and FU2, was 40/37). It was a little work, but I got to play and beat all the new single player games for free. Since all were preorder I also got them all on release day.

knk2009

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Thanks for everyone's answers.... admin can close this post now if they would like to.

At this point I have outgrown video gaming and am not playing at all... doubt I will play much ever again... just too many other better things to focus my time on atm.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007

One last thing, try and find mods for any of your games. For me they add 100+ hrs of replay for all of my games. They are free and some make the game even better than the original plain version. Some change the game play dramatically.

Solution

knk2009

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

Ha ha,

I am not video gaming any more but you just won best answer with your last minute reply. Nice one.

Status
Not open for further replies.