Belkin Wireless G USB Adapter doesn't go faster than 11Mbps

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

I just bought a Belkin Wireless G USB adapter F5D7050UK and loaded it on two
computers (desktop and laptop) and I can't get either to go faster than
11Mbps.

The adapter is now sitting on top of the Linksys WRT54G router, so range
isn't an issue. Other computers in other rooms connect happily at 54Mbps.

I use Windows XP SP2 and WEP 64-bit security. It connects immediately.
I've also tried downloading and installing the latest drivers from the
Belkin web site.

Any ideas? Anyone else with one of these gizmos that has it running at its
rated speed?

Jonathan
5 answers Last reply
More about belkin wireless adapter doesn faster 11mbps

    What are you trying to measure? File transfers between computers or
    download speed from the Internet?

    If the latter, you are at maximum speed. 54 refers to file transfers only.

    "Jonathan Eales" <Jon.Eales@Virgin.net> wrote in message
    >I just bought a Belkin Wireless G USB adapter F5D7050UK and loaded it on
    >two computers (desktop and laptop) and I can't get either to go faster than
    >11Mbps.
    >
    > The adapter is now sitting on top of the Linksys WRT54G router, so range
    > isn't an issue. Other computers in other rooms connect happily at 54Mbps.
    >
    > I use Windows XP SP2 and WEP 64-bit security. It connects immediately.
    > I've also tried downloading and installing the latest drivers from the
    > Belkin web site.
    >
    > Any ideas? Anyone else with one of these gizmos that has it running at
    > its rated speed?
    >
    > Jonathan

  2. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

    Make sure you have B/G option checked and if you have super G mode check
    that and lastly use G static mode and not dynamic mode
    "Jonathan Eales" <Jon.Eales@Virgin.net> wrote in message
    >I just bought a Belkin Wireless G USB adapter F5D7050UK and loaded it on
    >two computers (desktop and laptop) and I can't get either to go faster than
    >11Mbps.
    >
    > The adapter is now sitting on top of the Linksys WRT54G router, so range
    > isn't an issue. Other computers in other rooms connect happily at 54Mbps.
    >
    > I use Windows XP SP2 and WEP 64-bit security. It connects immediately.
    > I've also tried downloading and installing the latest drivers from the
    > Belkin web site.
    >
    > Any ideas? Anyone else with one of these gizmos that has it running at
    > its rated speed?
    >
    > Jonathan

  3. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

    Thanks Guys, for your suggestions but the problem is fixed. If you use the
    supplied stand the speed is capped at 11Mbps, yet if you push the adapter
    directly into the USB socket the reported speed immediately jumps to 54Mbps.
    Go figure! Tried this on both computers and it works.

    Jonathan

    "Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message
    > Make sure you have B/G option checked and if you have super G mode check
    > that and lastly use G static mode and not dynamic mode
    > "Jonathan Eales" <Jon.Eales@Virgin.net> wrote in message
    >>I just bought a Belkin Wireless G USB adapter F5D7050UK and loaded it on
    >>two computers (desktop and laptop) and I can't get either to go faster
    >>than 11Mbps.
    >>
    >> The adapter is now sitting on top of the Linksys WRT54G router, so range
    >> isn't an issue. Other computers in other rooms connect happily at
    >> 54Mbps.
    >>
    >> I use Windows XP SP2 and WEP 64-bit security. It connects immediately.
    >> I've also tried downloading and installing the latest drivers from the
    >> Belkin web site.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? Anyone else with one of these gizmos that has it running at
    >> its rated speed?
    >>
    >> Jonathan

  4. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 06:19:01 GMT, "Jonathan Eales"
    <Jon.Eales@Virgin.net> wrote:

    >Thanks Guys, for your suggestions but the problem is fixed. If you use the
    >supplied stand the speed is capped at 11Mbps, yet if you push the adapter
    >directly into the USB socket the reported speed immediately jumps to 54Mbps.
    >Go figure! Tried this on both computers and it works.

    Can I guess? The stands were USB 1.1 only. The computah thinks it's
    talking to a USB 1.1 device and limits the speed. Max on USB 1.1 is
    12Mbits/sec, which is far too close to 11Mbits/sec for comfort. Dump
    the stand and plug in directly to a USB 2.0 port, and you get full
    speed. Most of the other USB 802.11g data sheets include warnings of
    diminished thruput when used with USB 1.1.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
  5. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 06:19:01 GMT, "Jonathan Eales" <Jon.Eales@Virgin.net> wrote:

    >Thanks Guys, for your suggestions but the problem is fixed. If you use the
    >supplied stand the speed is capped at 11Mbps, yet if you push the adapter
    >directly into the USB socket the reported speed immediately jumps to 54Mbps.
    >Go figure! Tried this on both computers and it works.
    >
    >Jonathan

    <snip>

    Sounds to me like the "stand" may be using a USB 1.1 rated cable.

    Try it with a USB 2 rated cable

Wireless USB Adapter Belkin Wireless Networking