Help, Can't get a POST w/ K7M and Athlon 600

G

So I steeped in it this time and need some help. I decided to be a nice guy and build my girlfriend's sister (she's in high school) a nice "new" computer out of the spare parts I had laying around.
Asus K7M Rev 1.04
Athlon Classic Slot A 600Mhz
2x128mb PC100 SDRAM (one is PNY, other is Mushkin)
Diammond FireGL 1000Pro
Soundblaster AWE 64
Intel PCI 10/100 Ethernet Card (she'll head to college in another year)
Seagate ST34311A (ATA66)
250Watt ATX generic PS
Crappy Case
Northwind GFD
Notice the Northwind GFD. I have the Athlon de-cased and put a couple of heatsinks on the Cache chips and slapped on an Intel Retail Heatsink fan (i got lots of these around) on the core with some Artic Silver. (Actually used zip ties and snugged everything up nice.

So I went to put the thing together outside the case to make sure everything worked. Everything was fine. I could clock it up to 750 w/o a problem. So then I went to put it in the case and discoever that the stupid old pos power supply fan sat on the side of the PS. Wierd. I got out the dremel and did some work on it and the case so I could get everythi gto fit right.

When I put everything back together, NO POST!!! Crap, I checked everything. I pulled everything but the Athlon, Ram, and video card. Still nothing. I got a new PS because I thought I fried the old one after modding it. No post. The drives power up fine. I don't think power is the issue.

If the monitor is on without being connect to the video card, it is a bright white screen. I connect it and turn on the computer, the monitor looks like it is about to turn on, then it goes black and no post. I've tried this thing with another monitor and same results. DOn't think it is the crappy monitor.

Any ideas?? I'm stuck on this one. I just pulled the video card and slapped it in one of my computers and it worked fine.... crap, I was hoping that the video card was the problem... So I guess that leaves possible problems as:
1) Athlon
2) RAM
3) K7M

Crap, am I missing something? Did I fry something with the old crappy powersupply? I am so sad

Also, when I upped the voltage with the GFD or booted w/o the Athlon, I would error beeps, so does this mean that anything is actually working? Please help!!!

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Have you tried back to the statement when it worked?
Disassembled everything but leaving only video card
and memory (one DIMM)on the motherboard? Powered from another (you mentioned) working machine?
Not working when installed in the case? Hm..
There're some motherboard grounding issues.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
[QUOTE:][Originally posted by fireman233: <b>...
that the stupid old pos power supply ....
I got a new PS because I thought I fried the old one after modding it. No post. The drives power up fine. I don't think power is the issue....</b>

You asked it first and named your old ... I've already posted this before (can't find the link) and now repeat:
Some power supplies do not have proper Power_Good circuity (0.1-0.5 sec timing). Some motherboards are more sensitive to an improperly designed or improperly functioning Power_Good signal than others. Startup problems are often the result of improper Power_Good signal timing. This happens <b>sometimes</b> when a motherboard replaced in a system and the system intermittently failed to start properly after the power turned on.
This could be very difficult to diagnose, because the problem appeared to be caused by the new motherboard. It happened when improper power supply signal corrupted the BIOS by on some motherboards...
Just in case to know.