Failed BIOS Update...What now?

Lance

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
I was updating the BIOS on my Toshiba 465CDX laptop when I recieved an error. I had downloaded the correct (double -checked BIOS update), un-zipped and made the BIOS update Diskette. I than booted from the diskette and started the update. The screen read "updating BIOS....15%...20% etc" At 75% done, the error occurred. The error said "failure...update of image can not continue....." The laptop now gets Windows Protection fault errors and the video is messed up. what can I do?

Lance

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
I did attempt the update again. I got an error "Disk is non-syetem disk...retry, abort, cancel???...." I used a new diskette and downloaded the BIOS again this time to ensure I had everthing right.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
your system won't boot off a bootable floppy?

Are you really sure the bios is the right file?

Can you still boot off your old floppy (without doing the update?)

Can you access bios for the laptop at all (set floppy mode etc.?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Lance

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
peteb.....I will test the older diskette to see if it will work a 2nd time. I will also see if i can "roll back" the bios to an earlier version (if toshibia posts old bios???). do you think this would be a good approach?

Lance

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
peteb.....I will test the older diskette to see if it will work a 2nd time. I will also see if i can "roll back" the bios to an earlier version (if toshibia posts old bios???). do you think this would be a good approach?

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Always back up your original bios first, if you recieve a error you can go back to it. Never shut down or reboot your system until you get a successful Bios flash. Your best bet is to see if they have a older version of the Bios for your system. If not you might be able to request one, and if that does not work, muck around and see if you can find someone nice enough with the same system to get you a copy.

Good Luck!

TRENDING THREADS