Please explain 1394b

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I read the article that talked about 1394b, but I don't know what the 1394b is. Please explain what exactly it is. I am thinking it is the next standard following ATA/100 which followed ATA/66. Though I am really not sure.

It worked yesterday! :lol:

dhlucke

Polypheme
not spending much time researching this, but here is a start:

Max Bassler, of Molex Inc., a leader in cables and connectors, said the new 1394b version of the IEEE.1394 specification is ready for the market. A technical committee assigned to drafting and submitting the full specification has completed improvements including speeds of 800 Megabit/second, with assured backward compatibility for earlier, legacy, 1394 devices and products. The technical committee also has created a roadmap to take the 1394-enabled products to speeds of 1.6 Megabits/second in 2001 and, eventually, to 3.2 Gigabits. Throughout the process, cost-reduction has been a key focus, Bassler noted.
<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

G

Nah, ATA/XXX is for IDE hard drives. The IEEE 1394 standard is more commonly known as FireWire and is a competitor to USB for connecting peripherals. 1394b is the newest version with increased speeds (kind of like USB 2.0 which is also coming out now).