New motherboard question

G

I'm swapping out the motherboard on my PC (broke the little tab that the fan hooks to), but everything else is going to remain the same. It uses the same chipset as the board I'm replacing, but the brand is the different (old=Transcend, new=Asus). Can I just swap it without having to reload the OS? Should I delete all devices under System Devices first so that PNP kicks in? Thanks in advance.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You are probably not going to HAVE to reinstall, but it would be better to.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

I went from an ASUS pentium I mobo to a Gigabyte IXE4 mobo with the same hard drive. It booted just fine. The install new hardware window came up and I followed all the instruceions. It was no big deal.

May Fortune Favor The Foolish

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Man, LAMF 's asking for help trying to save time, settings and data, and probably hasn't have something to implement the backup. Of couese, clean install is the best!
Unfortunatelly I don't know your system. On our pure Intel machines and on PIII c/w newer VIA chipset I did swap the harddrives with WinNT and Win98 on them.
You loose nothing if you try, and it doesn't take much time. You're thinking right. Boot-up in Safe mode, see the conflicts in the System Device Manager, delete conflicting devices, reboot and repeat the procedure.
By the way, our accountant works already one year on a completely new machine with mirrored from old computer harddrive on larger partition of the new harddrive .... We were very busy that time and we decided to reinstall everything from scratch some time later. Our system administrator approved the idea.
And we were very happy saving the accountant's personal settings, and of course, her time and nerves. So far Win98 - no crashes.
Don't worry, should work this way. Keep your computer healthy, study it.

G

Actually, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do a clean install. The machine is a dedicated DAW, and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Those 24-bit sound cards can be awfully picky. I actually do have plenty of room for a backup on my T'Bird machine (about 100gb free), but with 5 machines, I just hate doing reinstalls. I've done 2 of them in the last 2 months. Guess I was just being a little lazy. Thanks for everyone's input.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your using the same parts, so all that will be different is that some configuration settings will change. Windows should be able to handle that. If you come up with a com port, ide controller, floppy controller, parralell port, etc, that is listed twice, remove the second one.

Suicide is painless...........