HP Pavilion 8570 C question & Asus P2B-VE & virtual machine

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

I have a old Pavilion 8570 c which runs special software. I need a
back up of this machine. I thought I could just buy another HP
Pavilion Pentium 3 based machine and ghost the drive and have a back
up. The 8570 C uses a 4560 Mhz P3 and HP's site says it uses an Asus
P2B-VE.

The software I have has special hardware settings and I cannot get the
programmers to go down that road. HP's site says
6460,8400,8500,7200,7300 series Pavilion's use the same motherboards.

Any ideas on cloning. I was hoping to move to a faster and newer P3
pavilion off of eBay like a 1 Ghz machine. Any ideas on moving to a
new computer using virtual machine software to emulate all my settings
from the 8570 C?

Thanks.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

I did use Ghost. The drive has been Ghosted. The hardware settings
and drivers could be the problem. I am pretty sure I can go to another
8570 C. HP's web site says
6460,6466,6470z,8400,8480z,8490,8496,8500,8570c,8576c asll used the
same ASUS board with a Intel 440 ZX chip set.

I was just wondering if a Ghosted drive should work on other HP
Pavilion P3 machines or a if Virtual machine might work on a new
machine. There is no special hardware just the settings have to be the
same. Probably the Windows drivers you mention. Thanks for any help.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

Thanks. I pretty much had the same idea that I had to stick to the
same MB.

I have the thing maxed out at 256 MB of RAM. It runs a daily process
and sometimes it fails and has to be re-reun. I wish I had a moderm
2.8 gig machine.

What would be the fatest current IDE or EIDE hard drive that would
allow me to essentially ghost and plug in. 10,000 RPM IDE? I am
running a 1995 or more recent era hard drive. I have it backed up on a
few ghost drives.

I wish I could find a virtual machine to ghost the setting and hard
drive to run on a modern PC.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

Even if you can clone the drive successfully, you need to ensure that the same
model of motherboard, graphics subsystem, and network adapter are in the second
system if the computer is running Windows. Otherwise, you would be faced with
mucking about with Windows drivers, a thankless task.

Why not use Symantec's Ghost to clone the drive?

If your system is running special hardware, I would not bet that virtual machine
software like VMWare can handle it.

.... Ben Myers

On 9 May 2005 07:39:38 -0700, "George" <georgebeer2@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>I have a old Pavilion 8570 c which runs special software. I need a
>back up of this machine. I thought I could just buy another HP
>Pavilion Pentium 3 based machine and ghost the drive and have a back
>up. The 8570 C uses a 4560 Mhz P3 and HP's site says it uses an Asus
>P2B-VE.
>
>The software I have has special hardware settings and I cannot get the
>programmers to go down that road. HP's site says
>6460,8400,8500,7200,7300 series Pavilion's use the same motherboards.
>
>Any ideas on cloning. I was hoping to move to a faster and newer P3
>pavilion off of eBay like a 1 Ghz machine. Any ideas on moving to a
>new computer using virtual machine software to emulate all my settings
>from the 8570 C?
>
>Thanks.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

The Ghosted drive should work flawlessly on any HP machine with the identical
model of motherboard. Differences in chipsets would prevent flawless operation
on HP boxes with different models of motherboard... Ben Myers

On 9 May 2005 13:30:20 -0700, "George" <georgebeer2@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>I did use Ghost. The drive has been Ghosted. The hardware settings
>and drivers could be the problem. I am pretty sure I can go to another
>8570 C. HP's web site says
>6460,6466,6470z,8400,8480z,8490,8496,8500,8570c,8576c asll used the
>same ASUS board with a Intel 440 ZX chip set.
>
>I was just wondering if a Ghosted drive should work on other HP
>Pavilion P3 machines or a if Virtual machine might work on a new
>machine. There is no special hardware just the settings have to be the
>same. Probably the Windows drivers you mention. Thanks for any help.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

Another option would be to get a large capacity compact flash card and an IDE
adapter to read/write it. Ghost the hard drive image onto the compact flash
card, which operates much faster than any hard disk currently available.
Compact flash cards are available in up to 2GB capacity.

Failure of the process could also be due to software constraints, especially if
the computer is running Windows 95, 98, or ME. All of these versions of Windows
have relatively poor memory management.

Despite what the HP web site states, you can upgrade the processor to 600MHz,
with a Slot 1 CPU running at 2.05v and with 100MHz FSB. Also, I suspect that
512MB memory would be OK, as long as DIMMs with low density chips are installed.
Either of these upgrades may ease the pain. Finally, a PowerLeap adapter
running a 1.4GHz CPU may work. Check the PowerLeap web site for more info.

.... Ben Myers

On 9 May 2005 19:03:46 -0700, "George" <georgebeer2@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>Thanks. I pretty much had the same idea that I had to stick to the
>same MB.
>
>I have the thing maxed out at 256 MB of RAM. It runs a daily process
>and sometimes it fails and has to be re-reun. I wish I had a moderm
>2.8 gig machine.
>
>What would be the fatest current IDE or EIDE hard drive that would
>allow me to essentially ghost and plug in. 10,000 RPM IDE? I am
>running a 1995 or more recent era hard drive. I have it backed up on a
>few ghost drives.
>
>I wish I could find a virtual machine to ghost the setting and hard
>drive to run on a modern PC.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

Another options is trying to Ghost and install a SCSI drive. If I
could get a 2940 Adaptec UW SCSI then the thing would be 3 or 4 times
faster.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

Thanks. I was thinking of a cheap SCSI drive array or external. One
guy said it has to be an internal drive. I talked to some guys and they
said ghosting from the IDE to a SCSI drive would be a little work but
possible.

My guess is I would be at least 3 x faster. Thanks for your help.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

Yes, SCSI generally outperforms IDE. An Adaptec 29160 with an Ultra 160 drive
would be about the quickest this side of flash... Ben Myers

On 10 May 2005 17:15:29 -0700, "George" <georgebeer2@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>Another options is trying to Ghost and install a SCSI drive. If I
>could get a 2940 Adaptec UW SCSI then the thing would be 3 or 4 times
>faster.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

I would add memory to the system, to the 512MB max, before doing anything else.

.... Ben Myers